Oct 22, 2021

Halloween Web - Halloween is Forever in 3D

 The Halloween is Forever podcast crew interviews continue with the third, and final, member of the crew. Now that I think about it, I should have posted Meg's interview last so she could be the final girl.


Please introduce yourself to the readers.

I’m Steve 1/3rd of the Halloween is Forever Podcast. I also host a craft beer podcast called Hop Nation USA where I met my Halloween is Forever co-hosts Meg and Brian. I’m an audio, video, and writing freelancer by trade. It’s possible you’ve listened to a podcast or seen an ad I’ve edited.

What was Halloween like for you as a kid?

Growing up in the rural outskirts of Pittsburgh, neighbors’ houses were real trudges to get to. Not to sound like an old cliche, but there were a lot of uphill climbs or my mom would drive me around. A lot of the time we’d wind up Trick or Treating at malls or in the nicer suburb my grandparents lived in. More houses, bigger candy bars.

Do you have any standout memories?

One year my grandparents took me to a haunted house that was way too much for me at the time. I was only 9 or 10 probably and it was full of dismembered bodies and every monster I can think of. It actually was a few mini houses including walking through a crashed school bus with people in the seats who’d jump at you. It was called Phantoms of the Park, but is now defunct. The Hundred Acres Manor opened where it used to be.

What about favorite costumes?

I had a pretty sick Donatello costume in the 90s, ninja turtle not the artist. In my 20s I learned to incorporate drinking into my costumes. One year I went as a Dr. Krieger from Archer and carried a jar that looked like a science experiment gone wrong. It was really spiked apple cider, some other fruit and food dye.  

How do you celebrate these days?

I’m pretty low key now, but a friend usually throws a pretty big Halloween party which is fun to go.

Do you have any yearly rituals?

I’m horror movies and heavy metal 365, so it’s hard to develop those rituals when it could also be Tuesday. I do recall seeing GWAR one Halloween; that was pretty special. Warm apple cider and the occasional pumpkin beer are probably the only things I reserve for spooky season. 

What is it about Halloween that sticks with us after childhood?

It’s much more of a “let loose” holiday than Thanksgiving and Christmas. The other two people will overeat and drink too much, but a lot of it is coping with family and holiday stress. Halloween there is no cope. It’s all fun for the sake of fun, so you get to overeat, over drink, play out your fantasies of characters you wish you could be. You can be generous in giving out candy with zero expectation of return. You can ignore the things we’re really supposed to be afraid of for some cheap thrills from ghosts and monsters.

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was anything not candy.

My favorite thing to get was Nerds, Mallo Cups or 5th Avenue bars. I think those last two are really regional candy too. I don’t know I’ve ever seen them outside of PA.

My favorite monster cereal is Count Chocula

Where can people find you online?

You can find Halloween is Forever on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok. The show is available on podcast available on iTunes, Podbean, and anywhere else you find podcasts. New episodes every Monday.

Again, a monster-sized thanks to the Halloween is Forever crew for taking part in this year's interviews. Give their show a listen, it's a really fun time!

Be sure to click below to see all the Countdown Cryptkeepers!

No comments:

Post a Comment