Oct 13, 2013

Afterlife with Archie

*** Minor spoilers ahead! ***

After spending a few days reviewing the history of horror in comic books I thought it'd be neat to kind of bring it full circle and talk about the latest (and biggest) news in horror comics. This is one of those things like the Deaths of Superman or Peter Parker that has been picked up by mass media outlets because it's a Comics Event.

Afterlife with Archie comic zombie

Back in the day, before I really got into Marvel or DC, I had my fair share of Archie comics. I've always had a thing for the 50s' vibe: the music, the cars, Happy Days. I love it!

It's been a few decades since I've visited Riverdale but I've heard about the big events like Kevin Keller and the alternate futures of Archie marrying Veronica and Betty. Then a few months ago I heard there was going to be an Archie horror comic. Sure they've crossed paths with KISS and even Marvel's The Punisher, so what would the gimmick be this time?

Turns out, they're actually doing an honest to goodness undead uprising in Riverdale!

Spoiler-y parts below!

Jughead's best bud, and pet, Hot Dog is involved in a hit and run. He rushes Hot Dog to Sabrina's house hoping her or her aunts can work some mojo and save him. But it's too late, Hot Dog has already passed. The aunts stress the dangers of trying to resurrect him and tell Jughead "sometimes dead is better". But Sabrina empathizes because of her relationship with Salem. She has Jughead meet her and bury Hot Dog while she recites a spell from the Necronomicon! As you can imagine, things go downhill from there.


Before picking this up, I was expecting it to be in a traditional Archie art-style but it isn't. The artwork is great and gives an almost Walking Dead comic edge to a place I'd only ever seen as a cartoon world. The story is pretty much out of Pet Sematary but I think it's a logical way to introduce zombies to the Archie-verse. I can't wait to see where they're going to go with it!


Be sure to get more Tricks n Treats by visiting the houses on Countdown to Halloween Ave. and Blog-O-Ween Place!

4 comments:

  1. I just read this too! It was super eerie and disturbing. Poor Hot Dog! I'm looking forward to the next issue. I only wish that the whole series was available for the month of October. I hate waiting!

    Archie Comics has been getting so much better by leaps and bounds over the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what Sabrina's going to do

      Delete
  2. I'm a fan of Archie comics too.I have this large collection that I make sure to bring whenever we go RV camping. While my parents splurge on RV parts from ToyHauler Parts, Archie becomes my safe haven from their eccentric hobby.

    ReplyDelete