Oct 31, 2017

Monthly Movie Recap - October 2017


Happy Halloween!

Tossing this out in case you're looking for a flick or two to entertain you tonight. There are plenty of treats to pick through here, as well as a couple of tricks.

If you have Prime, I also recommend the series Lore which covers the real life strange and weird from history. It's very appropriate for Halloween viewing.

Saw this last night at Symphony Hall with the Boston Pops playing the soundtrack live. Simply incredible! Boys and girls of every age came dressed in costume and there was trick or treating throughout the building.


Bloody Birthday (1981, Shudder)
First off, if you plan on watching this one, skip the trailer. It pretty much gives all the good parts away. It's kind of a fun flick because the killers are three 10 year olds, all born on the same day during an eclipse, suddenly becoming homicidal. I don't know if it's better or worse that the kids aren't even creepy looking. On the other hand, nearly everything about the movie is...not great.

Cool: What's not to love about murderous children? Topless (Just Say) Julie Brown
Lame: Some of the most awkward looking teen make out scenes ever. There is in fact, no blood, on the birthday...what the heck?

Rating: 5/10


The WNUF Halloween Special (2013, Shudder)
It took my eyes awhile to adjust to the 3rd gen VHS look of this. I totally get what they were going for and I love them for it but it's just a bit too long. Anyone that grew up in the 80s should see this at least once.

Rating: 6/10


Prom Night (1981, Amazon)
Pretty much a snooze fest for the first hour. It's about 66% teen drama, 33% slasher, and 1% Saturday Night Fever. If you could cut about half the movie out that's after the first 10 minutes and when the killer shows up, it would be better.

Cool: The victims give the killer a run for their money which almost never happens
Lame: I must not have been paying close enough attention because I wasn't sure exactly who the killer was when they were unmasked. Awkward.

Rating: 4/10


Tragedy Girls (2017)
I had the joy of seeing this at the New England premiere as part of SalemHorror's programming. This is a wickedly fun time! It's a little like Mean Girls/Heathers mixed with social media plus a swirl of Scream. It managed to keep me guessing how things would play out.

Cool: Great gore and fun kills
Lame: My biggest problem: Jack Quaid (the main dude) can't pull off high schooler.

Rating: 8/10, find screenings on the film's website and go see it!


Boys in the Tress (2016, Netflix)
The trailer makes this look like a very different film than it actually is. While that was disappointing in one way, it was a nice surprise as I discovered what the story would be. Can't really talk about it too much without giving away the good stuff.

Cool: Some wonderful Halloween shots; 90s soundtrack
Lame: Growing up can suck

Rating: 7/10


The Babysitter (2017, Netflix)
Of everything that you might watch from this list tonight, this is my Numero Uno pick. Once it gets rolling, it doesn't take it long to go over the top. The main characters are a treat to watch and are great together.

Cool: Some great kills
Lame: The ending might be a little too over the top but it is so right on the money for the movie

Rating: 8/10, definitely a good time!

Cult of Chucky (2017, Netflix)
No horror franchise should still be this entertaining by its seventh go round. Not only is it a solid slasher but it's damn gorgeous to look at.

Cool: Great kills and some weird stuff going on
Lame: If you're not up on the series lore, you might be a little lost

Rating: 7/10

Phantasm Ravager (2016, rented via Amazon)
This movie is like a band you thought was cool in the 80s that's looking to make a quick buck by pumping out the hits with minimum effort. Maybe it's because it's been awhile since I watched nay of these but I was hoping for it to go out with a bigger bang.

Cool/Lame: The "real world" stuff is more interesting than the fantastical horror stuff.
Lame: The 90s era video toaster effects

Rating:  4/10


Curse of the Headless Horseman (1972)
I picked up this Something Weird Video DVD years ago and finally remembered to watch it this year. I knew it wasn't going to be great but wow, this is a new level of terrible. Who sets a story about the Headless Horseman at an Old West tourist trap?

Rating: 2/10


Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015, Amazon)
Didn't see the first two? That's okay, they don't exist but they'll catch you up anyway! I think most people will either find this ridiculously stupid or entertaining, and a few people will go with both. It's a send up of 80s slashers with gallons of blood.

Cool: Creative kills with plenty of gore. I actually like the killer's backstory, it's fun.
Lame: Drags a little in places because the jokes aren't enough to keep it interesting.

Rating: 5/10, probably better with a group

Month Total
 New: 10  Rewatch:1

Year Total
 New: 53  Rewatch:5

7 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of fun, at least. And I agree, The Babysitter was a hoot! 🎃👻🦇 Happy Halloween! 🎃👻🦇

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Halloween! :) That WNUF Halloween special trailer took me back. Not like I'd watched that exact one, but the style was definitely familiar. The VHS taping of it, especially the blue screen at the end took me back too! I want to watch the entire special if I can find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read about the DVD of the WNUF special someone has for sale on Amazon. Wait, so this was filmed now to look like it was from the 80s? Well, then it's no wonder I hadn't seen "this exact one" as I said before! Haha! Wouldn't it be funny if I had thought I'd seen this back in the day. ;) Well, it looks like they got everything right. I was buying that this was a real Halloween special made in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's the idea behind it! They recorded the movie, put it on VHS and then copied it a couple times from VHS to VHS to give it that vintage look.

      Delete
  4. Glad Am not the only one that did not care for WNUF it was a good idea just way to long. Babysitter seems to be getting the thumbs up might have to dig into that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it but think they should have trimmed it down to an hour. All the commercials kind of took the tension out of the "live" story.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed The Babysitter. It was campy, gory and pretty damn entertaining. I was not a huge fan of the Cult of Chucky though.

    ReplyDelete