Oct 2, 2017

Halloween Web - Hallowholic

Back from the dead, the Halloween Web interview series trudges into its fourth year!
Today, we're joined by another Countdown to Halloween blogger, Maddy who runs Hallowholic.


Thanks for joining us, please introduce yourself.

My name is Maddy, and I've got a tattoo of Freddy's glove on my torso. Not really an important detail, but I like to brag about it. Even got Robert Englund to sign it at a convention a couple of years ago and had it inked. I've dabbled in a lot of things. Writing. Amateur filmmaking. Podcasting. Webcomics. Pretty much if it's creative, I've probably tried it.

What was Halloween like for you as a kid?

I mostly remember the costumes my mom would build, and the end-of-the-night candy sorting. I didn't (and don't like) most candies, sugars, etc. But I love organizing, and I will eat a criminally negligent amount of Reese's if I can get my hands on it. I didn't live in a lot of great neighborhoods growing up until maybe middle school, but my parents would always try to take us to nicer places. In Texas you're guaranteed to run into a suburb if you pick a direction and just drive. I don't know of a lot of kids who'd go trick or treating in the actual cities.

Maddy as Frida Krueger
Do you have any especially memorable Halloween nights?

When I was about 4, my mom built me a mermaid costume with a gigantic blonde wig and a 'jeweled' cone as the crown. Her friend took me trick or treating, and spent half the night trying to keep the wig on my head and picking me up when my fishtail skirt kept tripping me. There was a guy dressed as a witch with a really decked-up halloween display. Ghosts. Zombies. A gigantic cauldron with dry ice he was stirring. When I said 'trick or treat' he threatened to eat me. This is not something to say to a 4-year-old. I tried to run away screaming, dropped my wig, and tripped over my fishtail, scraping everything. That was pretty much the end of trick or treating for the year.

Do you have any favorite costumes?

All sorts. My mom was a costumer when I was a kid, before she decided to go into theatre teaching. Bride of Frankenstein was probably the best one, when I was about 8. A vampire bride was a close 2nd when I was 9. The wizard in the photo is my brother.


How do you celebrate Halloween these days?

I'll usually watch a few horror movies, pass out candy, and do the 31 days of Halloween challenge on my blog.

Any favorite movies or music in your seasonal rotation?

Fright Night 2 (1988), Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman, and Monster Mash are oddly consistent movies on my lists. As far as music goes, can't go wrong with the Suspiria or Return of the Living Dead soundtrack.


What is it about Halloween that keeps it with us as we get older?

It's the one holiday mostly dedicated to kids. Yeah, Christmas is wonderful, and everybody gets gifts, but the grown-ups aren't usually doing the trick or treating. The grown ups aren't having the pizza parties, or passing out the goody bags. It caters to your childhood, and make believe. There's no other day of the year that you're encouraged to wear a crazy costume, or go to new places and talk to new people in the same way. Being a horror addict also helps.

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was pennies
My favorite thing to get was Reese's. Every time.

Where can people find you online?

At my horror blog, Hallow-Holics Anonymous

A monster-sized hanks to Maddy for joining us today!

See all the Halloween goodness by clicking the link below!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have quite as many this year but what I'm lacking in quantity I think I'm making up for with the subjects. Stay tuned!

      Delete