Oct 23, 2023

Monster Mayhem Creepster Island Playset

I picked up this Mighty Max-style playset a few years ago from Oriental Trading Company. I usually order some treat bag fillers from them every year and this was on clearance for a couple bucks. I happened on it this year while digging out other Halloween stuff.


A transforming playset and mini-monster figures? Sold! I was in my early 20s when Mighty Max came out so I haven't had much exposure to it. Not that I was "too old" for toys then (or now) but it just didn't hit my radar at the time.


Apparently there were three sets but OTC only had this one, which is probably why it was on clearance. If I had my choice of them, I would have gone with the Mummy Mystery for the Egyptian theme. The top corner mentions a companion app but that seems to be long gone also. You can check out this in depth review for more details.


Here is the playset and the monsters. The figures are about as tall as a pair of LEGO minifig legs. Because all but the skull were hidden in the package, I think the others could be randomly inserted in each one. Here we've got a witch, werewolf, ape, and a frog man (I think). They're not super detailed but for their size, they're okay.

There is a button on top of the playset that pops it open and unleashes the monsters...if you can manage to get them all in there and close it properly. No easy feat!


And here is the "transformed" playset. The little web is hinged so you can put a figure inside it. There's some kind of lizard man in the top right with a moveable tail. The giant spider is...there. The red bits do move but I think that's more for tossing out the figure you put there when the set opens. And then there's the stone face with Frito arms. Could be a statue or some kind of living quicksand monster?

I don't remember what retail was on this but for a couple bucks, it was definitely worth it. It seems OTC no longer carries these and even trying to research it, the most info I found was in the above linked review. I did find this under "Monster World" on a couple of foreign Amazon sites but they're sold out there as well. This is what happens when you get around to posting something you bought years ago!

Click below to see the full list of Countdown blogs!

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Will need to keep my eyes open in case one eventually pops back up on Amazon, because now I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have more luck on Ebay and be able to find some of the other sets too

      Delete
  2. Yep. I may need to track one of these down as well. Too cool.

    ReplyDelete