Oct 8, 2023

Free Spirit (1989) - Halloweenie

 Last month, the Retroist posted about a sitcom from 1989 that I had never heard of called Free Spirit. It originally premiered during TGIF on ABC and then moved to Sundays. It was only on for four months which is probably why I don't remember it!


The premise is that a 10 year old boy summons witch Winnie Goodwinn via a wish. The boy's father, recently divorced, hires her as a live-in housekeeper. His three kids know she's a witch but dad doesn't. Magical shenanigans ensue.

Sharp eyed viewers will recognize Alyson Hannigan (above right) years before she made her way to Sunnydale. She was nominated for a Young Artist Award for Best Young Actress Starring in a Television Series.

But why am I bringing up this obscure sitcom? Sure the main character is a witch but the real reason is that among their 14 episodes, they had a Halloween show. How could you have a show about a witch and not squeeze a Halloween ep in there? 
 
While you're enjoying this Halloween sitcom, keep an eye out for Maia Luisa Brewton who was in Adventures in Babysitting as the young, Thor-obsessed Sara Anderson. I did watch this episode and now I know why I wasn't aware of it. Overall, the show epitomizes the cheesy sitcom. I wasn't expecting much and I got it!



A few other notable guest stars during the shows run include: Seth Green (ep 4), Florence Henderson and Robert Reed as a divorced couple (ep 10), and Dave Coulier as Winnie's warlock fiancee (ep 13).

Click below to see the full list of Countdown blogs!

3 comments:

  1. I remember being excited when this show debuted, I was expecting the next Bewitched. But poof, suddenly it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I remember another show - It's Your Move - with Jason Bateman. It just disappeared. Thirty years later, I found the final episode (Dregs of Humanity heavy metal band) I was trying to see on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That show I remember! I watched it all the time.

      Delete