Oct 18, 2015

Halloween Web - Jason Liebig

Today's Halloween Web guest is the curator of CollectingCandy.com!


For the people that may not know you, tell us a little about yourself.

My name is Jason Liebig.  I've spent the last two decades in New York City, spending most of the first decade of those years working on the professional side of the comic book publishing business, first at DC Comics, and then at Marvel Comics.  When I left that career I was a story/art editor for the X-Men group for Marvel.  Since then I've divided my time between acting/writing and falling headlong into my passion of documenting and celebrating the history of candy.

What was Halloween like in your neighborhood as a kid?

I grew up in a small town in Nebraska, and most of my memorable Halloweens date back to the late 70's/early 80's.  My earliest memories are of Ben Cooper costumes and going door-to-door with my older brother and a group of friends, limited to a ten block radius of our house.

Do you have a particularly fond/funny/scary Halloween memory?

I suspect one of my scariest memories was when I was about to get too old to be going out trick-or-treating and one of the friends-of-a-friend of mine felt that Halloween was a time for blowing up illegal, home made fireworks. In this case, small sticks of dynamite.  You could hear them for miles and within a few blocks they sounded like artillery.  It made the whole night a bit exciting and a bit stressful.

Jason as Batman with brother Jeff
Any favorite costumes from Halloweens past?

I think one of my favorite costumes was when I was in fourth grade.  I wore a Pressman Space Creatures Vorkan mask and a black satin robe/sheet to school that year for our Halloween contest.  I was a pretty awkward kid but that year I took the "Most Scary Costume" award for my class.  I was pretty excited about that.  

Still have the mask I wore that day.  Not in the best of shape anymore but here it is...


(Ed.: I totally remember wanting one of these as a kid! And check out that Vader knock-off on the box) 


What do you do to celebrate now, out in the real world?

These days, I do my celebrating in the lead-up to the holiday.   We love to shop for Halloween candy and other decorations of fun items.  Our apartment gets pretty decked out and we started a new tradition this year of putting out our "Halloween Town" setup.

Do you have any yearly rituals?

Not too many annual traditions.  Sadly, we don't get many trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood so our activities differ from year to year.  A few years back we went to Salem, Mass for the holiday and had great fun.  We want to do Sleepy Hollow at some point soon.  Maybe this year.

What do you think it is about Halloween that keeps it in our hearts as we get older?

I think the holiday is incredibly well-marketed, and it's always fun to see a good scary movie.  But what makes the holiday special for me and most people I know is that it hearkens back to childhood and time spent with family and friends having fun.  It is the holiday that, more than any other, seems to be rooted in being goofy and silly and of course playing dress-up and getting candy.  Who couldn't love that?

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was lame gift certificates.

My favorite thing to get was...I loved getting the Brach's mini candy corns boxes when I was a kid, and I seem to recall loving most of the Snickers/Milky Way/3 Musketeers fun size bars


Where can folks find you online?

I can currently be found at CollectingCandy.com, on Twitter and Instagram and I'm excited to share that I'm trying to launch the first-ever bubblegum campaign on Kickstarter. It's a very Halloween friendly concept called Zombie Mouth Bubblegum

Don't forget to grab today's audio mix before you run off to check out all the Cryptkeepers at Countdown to Halloween!

Death Cometh


No comments:

Post a Comment