Oct 7, 2015

The Goosebumps Project

Geek Confession time: Until recently, I think I had only ever read one, maybe two, Goosebumps books. When the series started in 1992, I was in my early 20s and this kiddie lit series wasn't exactly in my wheelhouse at that time. Oddly enough, four years later I'd become obsessed with another popular series at the same reading level: Animorphs. Which reminds me, I need to go back and finish that some day. I think I quit somewhere in the 40s not knowing the series would wrap up soon.
 

Anyway...although I haven't read a lot of the Goosebumps books I always make a point to watch any TV movies or series that had R.L. Stine 's name on them because there just isn't a lot of horror for kids on TV. That and I like monsters and creepy things!

When I saw the trailer for the upcoming Goosebumps movie, I think I may have kind of fallen in love with it a little. I'm totally digging the vibe! 

 
Seeing all the characters and creatures come to life that I've been passingly familiar with from book covers brought me to the only logical conclusion:

It's time to read the Goosebumps series!

I'm not doing anything crazy like trying to read them all before the movie comes out. Which isn't all that crazy considering how short they are, but I will get through them! Another reason I want to read them is so that I can also read the HorrorLand series which has characters from the main series. Seeing Something Wicked This Way Comes at a young age has forever given me a skewed view of carnivals and amusement parks. And a need to consume everything relating to amusement park weirdness.

As of now, I'm only 7 books in and I'm wondering if trying to read these in a relatively close period of time to one another will get boring due to them pretty much following the same formula. Although the "kids on their own" theme may get repetitive, I'm guessing the variety of monsters will keep it fresh.

If you're a Goosebumps fan (and maybe even if you aren't) check out this theme remix from from Figure from his new album Monsters 6.66 which you can get at his site. Not only can you get this new 8 track album, but you can also grab the "box set" which has all previous Monsters albums in it for the low, low price of pay what you want.

I'm not a huge fan of dubstep but when it's infused with horror, I'm lovin' it!


Also, this week's Humble Bundle has 12 audio Goosebumps books for $15!
What a deal!

Before you run off to check out all the Cryptkeepers at Countdown to Halloween, here is today's audio Trick or Treat mix: Killer on the Loose: Escaped from the Ward.

4 comments:

  1. The movie looks fun. My kids always watch the TV show. I'll have to take them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing kids aren't required to see it for me :)

      Delete
  2. I have always loved the Goosebumps series--I couldn't get enough of them as a kid and even as an adult, I still return to them from time to time. I really want to see the movie, too! Hoping you post more about Goosebumps this month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have anything planned right now. I'm still fairly new to the print side of Goosebumps.

      Delete