Oct 4, 2026

Salem Haunted Happenings Parade 2026

 The first Thursday in October, unofficially kicks off the Halloween season (tourists start coming in early September!) in Salem with the 29th Annual Haunted Happenings Parade.And not only is it the parade's 29th but this year is also Salem's 400th anniversary!
 

As I do every year, I got there a little early to walk the staging area and get some "behind the scenes" photos of everyone getting ready. The theme this year was Old School Halloween and some of the costumes and floats certainly tuned into that.
 

 One of the high school marching bands went all in on Marvel. I think the trombone player in the green sweater is supposed to be Stan Lee with his gray hair.
  

The "Haunted Warren Museum" recently opened in downtown Salem and their float has this giant Megabelle version of the Annabelle doll.
 

 I don't know who the sponsor was for this one but they won the night for me. If you grew up in the Boston area in the 70s/80s, you probably spent Saturday afternoons watching channel 56's Creature Double Feature and it's definitely where I cut my teeth on classic horror. 
  

 How cool are these McDonald's Boo Bucket costumes?
  

I think this guy was taken back a bit that I wanted to take his photo. I'm guessing not a lot of people recognize Tron when they see him!
 

 Here he was in the parade.
 

 A few New England Ghostbusters hanging out around Christine.
 
 
The Boston Chapter of the International Order of Mrs. Ropers were nice enough to pose for a group photo.
  

Shooting with my phone makes it difficult to get actual parade pics once it gets going after dark. This float happened to stop and I was able to get a good shot.
 

 Marty McFly on on hoverboard!
 

 I think this is one of the busker personalities that you may run into in downtown Salem but I can't remember their name. I love the whole autumn vibe.
 

 Sabrina's Aunt Hilda herself, Caroline Rhea, was the guest of honor. The cast of the show are doing a reunion event a couple towns over but it's on Halloween so I won't be able to make that. 
 
There's a lot more pics which you can browse below or head over to my Flickr album. 
 
2026.10.01 - 29th Annual Salem Haunted Happenings Parade
  
If you want to watch the parade, the Salem Local Access channel posted it on YouTube.
 
What's the cat looking at? The full list of Countdown to Halloween blogs!
Give a click to see for yourself.  
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun. Love the Mrs. Ropers! Someday I am coming to Salem for spooky season. I still have the postcard from witch city USA on my fridge.

    ReplyDelete