Sep 1, 2026

Monthly Media Recap - August 2026

 It's been a rough couple weeks for losing beloved entertainers: Dolly Parton, Tim Curry, and Peter Cullen all left us last week. If you don't know Cullen, you've at least heard him as Optimus Prime and dozens of other iconic cartoon characters.
 
 With the blog rolling into September, regular posts will go on hiatus while I prep for the annual Countdown to Halloween with a post every day in October. Every year I think I don't have it in me and struggle to find things to talk about but every year I pull it off.
 
Anyway, let's get this recap on the road!
 
 
Series
 
The Righteous Gemstones (HBO Max)
More like Riotous Gemstones! I've been binging the series over the summer and just wrapped it up. If Danny McBride knows how to do one thing, it's create people you wouldn't go near in real life but find some way to make you root for them.
 
Another summer binge. This one took me by surprise. Not only is everyone great in it but this is probably Harrison Ford's best role (sorry Han and Indy!). It's good to see him get into something with real depth and also show that he can be funny! This show alone is worth getting AppleTV for.
 
Gatchaman Progress
Knocked out 5! Currently up to 89 
 
Movies
 
 
The Devil's Mouth (2026, Prime)
One final shark movie for the summer. It started off pretty good but once the shark gets going, it basically turns into a slasher. For some reason, the shark has it out for this tour group beyond just needing to eat, or maybe he's really hungry. I don't know a lot about shark eating habits. The ending goes a little too far into action movie territory antics where the rest was pretty grounded.

Rating: 5/10
 
Spider-Man: Brand New Day (2026)
What. A. RIDE! Amazing! Spectacular! The comic book vibes (and cameos) are strong on this one and I love it! I'm glad they kind of "Last Jedi"'d that one character and flipped your expectations. Can't wait to see where things go next.

Rating: 9/10
 
 
Exit 8 (2025, Shudder/Prime)
No idea this was based on a video game until after watching it. I really enjoyed this one. It's got a liminal space thing going on and while there's definitely some deeper themes at play, I was sucked in by the setting. The editing is amazing because most of it seems to be shot continuously with no cut aways. Considering most of it takes place in a couple of subway tunnels, it was engrossing for me seeing the stories unfold.

Rating: 7/10
 
Enola Holmes 2 (2022, Netflix)
Still on my way to the third one. The series is still solid and a lot of fun. I like that they used a real historical event as a backdrop for this outing. If you enjoyed the first one, you'll be pleased with this sequel. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Cavill's Sherlock in his own movie.

Rating: 8/10
 
 
Buffet Infinity (2025, Shudder)
If you think you've seen it all, have I got a movie for you! This movie about a buffet restaurant tells its story through TV ads, local news clips, and found footage. I have to give them credit for swinging for the fences with this one. It's really weird, funny, and creepy. It's got major Welcome to Nightvale vibes.
 
Rating: 7/10 
 
The Last House (2026, Netflix)
Reminded me of an M. Night Shyamalan film, and not in a good way. The first half where you're not sure what exactly is going on is a great setup. Then it switches gears from suspense to survival and is kind of boring up until the climax. Even then, you may end up having to go online to get clarification for info the movie itself should be giving you. The least believable thing is how long they stayed alive while trapped in their house.

Rating: 4/10
 
If you're a regular around here, you know I watch A LOT of horror. With spooky season upon us, sometimes you need a palette cleanser before diving into full on horror mode. Movies like this are why Tubi is far and away the best free streaming service.
 
 
Gas Pump Girls (1979, Tubi)
Despite the title, this is not an adult film, it's barely a sex comedy! In fact, if you trimmed the maybe 5 total minutes of topless-ness from it, it's a pretty PG romp. It's the 70s: the acting isn't great, the actors definitely don't seem high school age but it's a fun enough piece of fluff. This is the kind of movie 12 year old boys would sneak on cable when their parents aren't around.

Rating: 5/10 
 
 
Raw Force, aka Kung-Fu Cannibals (1982, Tubi)
Look, you tell me there's cannibal monks and kung-fu zombies...I'm there! The abundance of T&A might make up for the acting, wandering plot, and the worst fight choreography in recent memory. It's not a good movie by any stretch but might be fun with friends. Did I mention the main bad guy looks like Hitler and is trafficking women?

Rating: 2/10
 
 
This Month
New: 8  Rewatch: 0
 
Year to Date
New: 56  Rewatch: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment