Jan 30, 2013

LoEB Post - Alestorm Ahoy!


As I left the house this morning, I nearly tripped over a glass bottle on my front porch. I didn't give it much thought and was about to toss it in the recycle bin when I noticed it had a piece of paper in it.

message in a bottle
I fished out the paper and unrolled it to reveal its single word message:

Pirates

After reading Shezcrafti's awesome entry in this week's League of Extraordinary Bloggers assignment, it gave me the idea for my own post. I wasn't quite sure where I'd be going with this post until then. Ice Pirates was all I had. Oh no! Space herpes!! As much fun(?) as it would be to do a post on this oddball flick, I passed on it for now.

Pull up a barrel and tap a keg of rum as I introduce you to Alestorm, a Scottish "pirate metal" band. They originally formed under the name Battleheart in 2006. In 2008 they changed their name to better fit their pirate influence. While their songs have an undeniably metal tempo, there's also a strong sea chanty element to them. "Wenches and Mead" here is one of my favorite tracks, which perfectly summarizes the mythical pirate life style.


You can find out more and download a couple of free mp3s on their website.

Hold on mateys, see what other League scallywags are talking about
First time Leaguer Combat Workshop turns the Joker into a pirate
Rediscover the 80s offers the 8 Best Animated Pirate Villains from the last 80s/early 90s
Sneak a look at a cool Pirate collectible minis game at Achievements in Gaming

    

5 comments:

  1. Okay, first of all, Battleheart is an awesome fucking band name. Epic, even. Alestorm is cute, I guess, but it's no Battleheart.

    I really like these gimmicky metal bands. They're exactly the kind of thing I want to listen to when I'm getting pissed at the Renfest.

    Also: I'd have much rather read about Ice Pirates. Shoulda gone with your gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll come back to Ice Pirates someday. I watched it for the first time in decades a couple years ago, it does not hold up! lol

      Delete
  2. Yes, Ice Pirates. Awesome film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jaime that they should have stuck with Battleheart. AWESOME. However, I disagree with her in that you should have written about Ice Pirates. If you had, I never would have discovered Battleheart (Alestorm).

    And I thank you for that, Dex.

    Pax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there must be other pirate metal bands out there but I haven't bothered looking. I didn't even think to mention Ghoultown during Cowboy week, they're a punk Western band.

      Battleheart sounds like it would be a Saxon cover band.

      Delete