Oct 24, 2019

Halloween Web - Mason A

Another fellow Countdown blogger from DI Treasures joins us for an interview.


Come on in and tell us about yourself.

I'm Mason and I have always liked cool things like cartoons, cereal, sci-fi, fantasy, and action figures. I later found out that this means I'm a "nerd".  I just always thought I naturally like awesome things. I'm from Utah, where there is a Deseret Industries thrift store around every corner, loving known as the "DI" for short. Remember that thrift store were Napoleon Dynamite finds all that sweet stuff? That was a DI! I grew up shopping at the DI with my family. It was, and still is, a great place to put together a Halloween costume on the cheap. I decided to start a blog showing off all the amazing treasures I would find at the DI, and DI Treasures was born. My blog has since evolved to include just about anything that I find interesting, such as movies, VHS, board games, puzzles, video games, candy, cereal, and more. I was heavily inspired by X-Entertainment (now Dino Drac), and Bogleech. I have since made many blogging buddies. Some of which have stopped blogging, but are still active on Instagram. My blog "rises from the grave" every Halloween and Christmas season.

How is Halloween in your neck of the woods?

I live in Salt Lake City, UT.  Halloween is BIG here!  It may be all the big families, or the film culture, what with the Sundance film festival in Park City, UT.  It' is just such a fun holiday for the childrens!  We are also known for our haunted house attractions.  Nightmare on 13th is pretty well renowned as one of the biggest and best haunts in the US.  I remember visiting in the 90's.  It has been a long time since I have gone to a haunted house! 

Do you have any special Halloween memories?

Years ago I tagged along with my kid sister going door to door in my standard nerd costume.  I joked with everyone that I wasn't in a costume and that this was how I normally dressed.  I got a lot of laughs and really embarrassed my sister and her friend.


What about a favorite costume?

Here I am trying to look scary as a simple Doctor, some time in the late 80's. I think I'm about 6 years old in this picture, so Halloween of '89 methinks? My older cousin is the Dracula, and my brother is the Skeleton. My Mom is on the far left. We're in my grandparents' living room.

Do you have any yearly Halloween rituals?

SO MANY HALLOWEEN RITUALS!! Monster cereal of course, any Halloween themed food and cereals I can find, and the lesser known True Moo Orange Scream milk. It is getting harder and harder to find every year!  In fact, it has been a few years since I last had some. Of course, I always go Trick or Treating with my kids. We always try to visit Pioneer Village. Every year they put out these witch statues for "Witchfest". It's a lot of fun, and they use the same statues they used when I went as a kid! The wear and tear is really starting to shown on some of those witches.

What about Halloween albums or music?

I also select songs from my favorite artists to compile "Mix Tapes" playlists I out together on my YouTube account. I also do this every year for Creepmas too, and it has been a fun way to discover new songs. YouTube playlists are pretty much the modern version of mix tapes.


Why do you think we hold on to Halloween as we get older?

The costumes and masks are a big part of it, becoming someone, or something else for one night, the spookiest night of the year! The Trick or Treat aspect has drawn in a lot of kids. It's nice to walk around the neighborhood at night. Also, people get a rush from being scared.

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was Circus Peanuts!

My favorite thing to get was Reese's Pumpkins of Ghosts!!!

My favorite monster cereal is Monster Mash! (mix all 3 together)

Thanks to Mason for dropping by today. You can check out his blog at DI Treasures.

If you check out the other Countdown to Halloween bloggers by clicking below, a ghost may follow you home!

No comments:

Post a Comment