Sep 9, 2014

The Munsters Uncle Gilbert Figure

Thanks to a recent one day sale at Entertainment Earth, I scored the Uncle Gilbert figure.

Munsters Uncle Gil

In addition to his dapper hat, he comes packed with a section of floor with a foot peg, and a couple of staircase parts so that if you get all the figures in the set, you can build the Munster home stairs, complete with Spot's head! Freeing him from the package was a bit of a pain. He was secured with the dreaded wiry twisty ties. Sometimes you just want to open the thing with minimal hassle, y'know?

Munsters Uncle Gil

He's the most articulated Creature figure I own so far. I say so far because I happened to be in Toys R Us today and saw they had a new exclusive Universal Monsters line which has a Creature figure that has got some major articulation going on. There's a good review of him at The Fwoosh. Gil's leg articulation is a little odd. He's got knees, ankles, and swivel cut thighs, but no hips! You can bend his knees but not bring his legs forward. Probably for the better with his long coat, although it is pretty pliable.

Munsters Uncle Gil

Here's Gil with the previous Diamond Select Creature figure. What the older one lacks in articulation,  it makes up for in paint detail. When I started shooting Gil I was getting annoyed because the pics looked like they didn't have enough light and weren't capturing his face. It wasn't until I paired these two up that I figured out what the problem was.

Munsters Uncle Gil

Gil has no real facial definition. Look at his noggin compared to his naked brother. A world of difference! Maybe they didn't think of it since they were bringing a black & white character to color? Or maybe it was a cost saving decision.  Either way, I think I'd rather have a B&W figure. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a variant.

Munsters Uncle Gil

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't seen the episode he was in but that scarf makes me imagine him driving a roadster with the top down.

      Delete
  2. Cool Classic character..... and an awesome action figure.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really happy to see this figure in the line. Where else are you going to find a creature figure like this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll definitely stand out among the movie incarnations!

      Delete
  4. Simply wonderful! I wish I had unlimited space (and funds) - The Munsters figures really appeal to me. Alas I will have to live vicariously through fellow collectors' blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too! I have to stick to my collecting focuses.

      Delete
  5. Nice! I didn't even know there was an Uncle Gilbert in the Munster Family, pretty cool, great figure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was in one episode, so it's kinda funny they did a figure. But then again, they know there are people like me out there that will buy it!

      Delete