Jan 23, 2013

LoEB Post - Spaaaaaaace Post!


I'd all but forgotten about my subspace radio gathering dust in the corner. It took me a moment to figure out where the noise was coming from when it suddenly sprang to life. It received a transmission regarding the League of Extraordinary Bloggers assignment for this week. Being as old as it is, I only managed to get one word of the message before the transistor tubes blew out and it died a smokey death:

Spacemen

This is why I upgraded to a hyperwave a few years back, I mean, who still uses a subspace receiver with transistor tubes in this day and age?

There are so many directions I could go with this. I could probably blog every day for a year on this topic and still have something to write about when finished. When I was knee-high to a Wookiee (you can use that), I was into the usual "boy stuff." Then Star Wars came along and changed everything.

Of course I had Star Wars toys but I also had all kinds of other sci-fi figures and ships that I barely remember. I had a pair of hardcover books about spaceships that have gorgeous art that were very near and dear to me, even if I didn't completely understand the text. One of them was called Spacecraft, 2000-2100 A.D.: Terran Trade Authority Handbook. I found a Flickr gallery someone posted so you can see some images that captured my young brain. I wish I could remember the name of the other book, it was very similar.

Terran Trade Authority Handbook

Ok, so those are spaceships and I'm supposed to be talking about spacemen. I threw together a gallery of vintage comic covers for that. I absolutely love the flimsy spacesuits, bubble helmets and ray guns. If you want to check out some of these comics in all their glory, I suggest you set your browser for The Digital Comics Museum. They have TONS of vintage comics and they're all legit and free.

SciFi Comic Covers

Also, bonus points for you if you got the joke in the post title. If you didn't, well, don't feel bad. It probably works better as an audio joke that a written one.

Other League members have taken off as well
The Goodwill Geek showcases plenty of pop culture spacemen
LEGO my spaceman! says The Mos Espa Collection
Memories of Toymorrow features the rockin-est Spaceman of all

2 comments:

  1. I had a book of sci-fi art like that as well (I think it was Lightspeed by Tim Burns), and it completely engrossed me for years. I did a search of the Spacecraft 2000-2100 book and the artwork is quite similar.

    Thanks for the link to the Digital Comic Museum! I've read so much about Terry and the Pirates, I'm looking forward to reading it myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing site. There is such a variety of stuff that most people have never heard of. Love it!

      Delete