Jan 17, 2013

LoEB Post - Giddy Up!


I'm not sure what's going on with Brian over at Cool and Collected lately. The assignment from the League of Extraordinary Bloggers this week has again arrived via an unusual courier. This time a satchel was tossed at me from a careening stage coach and before I could say "howdy" I was left coughing in a dust cloud. I was nearly trampled by a pair of horseman following the coach with kerchiefs covering the bottom halves of their faces.
I bet they didn't have a problem with the dust.

I opened the satchel to find a six shooter and a telegram with a single word on it...

-.-. --- .-- -... --- -.-- ...
(Cowboys)

I'll be the first to tell you, I've never been much into Western-type things. I don't recall watching any as a kid, my Saturdays were spent playing with space toys, reading superhero comics and watching Creature Double Feature on WLVI 56. One thing I do remember for some reason is having a 12" Lone Ranger figure along with Silver and a covered wagon.

Image from Plaid Stallions
Aside from that, most of my Western education has consisted of what I call "Hollywood Westerns": Blazing Saddles, Young Guns and Tombstone. I remember going to see Unforgiven when it was released because it was supposed to be a big deal that Eastwood was back for another Western. I recall I enjoyed it but couldn't tell you a thing about it today.

I never even watched Bravestarr or Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa, although I did play the video game.

In more recent decades I discovered Westworld, which I highly recommend, and I suppose technically we can lump Firefly in there too. Last year I saw Hannie Caulder and it was Awesome! Does it get any better than a sexy woman out for revenge?
Hell hath no fury and all that...


This year I've taken in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid which I really liked but the music made it a little weird. And just yesterday, in preparation for the next Cult Film Club podcast, I watched the original 1966 Django. Another one for the plus column. Sure the dubbing makes it seem poorly acted but it's great fun.

I'm into movies where even the good guys walk the gray area of morality. This would be a great area to inspire future Star Wars films, Disney. You listening? I definitely think there will be more cinematic trips to the Old West in my future.

Here's a round up of other League members
 Branded in the 80s recalls the 3.75" Lone Ranger figures
Animated Cowboys and Aliens are featured at Rediscover the 80s
Flashlights Are Something to Eat is the rootin-est tootin-est cowboy of all

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I know exactly what you mean about the music in Butch and Sundance! All of a sudden we're all "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head!"

    And Firefly!!! Why didn't I think of Firefly!?!?

    It's weird to think of all the films and shows that we've seen that are inspired or influenced by westerns... like parts of Star Wars for example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Star Wars draws from so many things. A Western-influenced bounty hunter movie would be great!

      Delete