Mar 27, 2024

Now Hear This - Sorcery

I presume I'm not the only person that has some music that lives only in their head. And what I mean by that is you have your popular music that lots of people know and you hear everywhere but there are some bands/songs that just live within you because it's something you only ever hear when you decide to listen to it. It just doesn't "exist" out in the world. Am I making sense or sounding like a crazy person? 
 
I recently saw Eli Roth's Thanksgiving and was incredibly surprised to hear a few songs from the band Sorcery in the movie. If what I said above made sense to you, then you know what a crazy feeling it is to hear something you're very familiar with but don't expect to hear in the wild.
 
  
Behold...Sorcery!
 
I first stumbled on to Sorcery back in 2016 in the 1978 movie Stunt Rock for which they did the soundtrack (you can read my brief review). They also basically co-star in the movie alongside real-life stuntman Grant Page. Just seeing them in this movie was all I needed to pick up the soundtrack. I'm a sucker for hard rock with fantasy lyrics! As I said in my movie review, Sorcery is like Deep Purple and Alice Cooper had a bastard child. 

Here's the trailer for Stunt Rock.
 

There's not much to the movie in terms of plot but there is plenty of stunt action and of course, Sorcery performing their wild stage show.
 
Sorcery is a heavy metal band that was primarily active in the 70s and 80s and known for theatrical stage shows where wizards battle the Devil. They headlined shows at the infamous Whiskey a Go Go in the late 70s. I can't imagine every show they put on was like what they show in Stunt Rock but I'd love to have seen it! They appeared on Dick Clark Rockin Halloween specials in 82 and 83. Also in 83, they were in the horror movie Rocktober Blood where they again provided the soundtrack.As you'll see in the upcoming Monthly Media Recap, this was not as much fun as Stunt Rock.

This video collects all 25 minutes of their bonkers stage show from Stunt Rock. I'm having the video start on the song Wizard's Council which is my favorite.The opening intro on this track just slaps.



Despite their apparent live show success, they have only released two studio albums, the soundtrack for Rocktober Blood, and a live album in 2000. Both of their albums, and the movie Stunt Rock, have been remastered an re-released in recent years.

You can listen to the Stunt Rock soundtrack for free on Bandcamp.If you skipped the concert video, at least lend your ear to Wizard's Council for a minute or two.


3 comments:

  1. Totally forgot about these guys! I think I stumbled across them years ago and was fascinated with them for a brief moment so it’s time to revisit this band

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Never heard of these guys. Will have to listen to their music.

    ReplyDelete