Nov 30, 2020

Monthly Media Recap - November 2020

As usual, November's recap is going up on the last day of the month because December 1-13 is Creepmas when we inject a little spooky into the winter holiday season.

I think I got a little movied-out after last month and ended up going a bit lighter for November. I'm sure December will have its fill of holiday horror flicks!

 
Streaming
 
The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) - I enjoyed it but not as much as Hill House. I like that they sort of American Horror Story'd it and have some of the actors from the previous series coming back in new roles. Towards the end where they get into the story of the haunting, I was a little bored.
 
Marvel 6161 (Disney+) - Blew through this in a couple of days. Some really enjoyable, and sometimes moving, looks at different areas of Marvel including cosplayers, Spanish creators, women creators (Ann Nocenti & Louise Simonson!), and my favorite: Japanese Spider-Man!

LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special (Disney+) - If you've never watched a Lego SW show before, you're really missing out. They're always fun, have some good jokes, and the occasional Easter egg wink at the audience.

Movies



One Cut of the Dead (2017, Shudder)
This was a good time and a great example of why I urge people to check out foreign horror films. It's definitely not something you've seen in a zombie flick before. It's a little slow in the middle but that's really a minor gripe considering how much fun the rest of it is.

Rating: 7/10


Prospect (2018, Netflix)
If someone hadn't mentioned this in r/movies I probably would never have glanced at it. Despite the fact that it's sci-fi and stars The Mandalorian's Pedro Pascal it was the person's appreciation of the movie that convinced me to check it out and I'm so glad I did. It's sci-fi but more the grounded/ "real world"  kind that with a few small changes could easily take place in the Old West. There's just something about this it that hits the right spot for me. Kudos to the people that designed the space suits.

Rating: 8/10


Murder Bury Win (2020)
This was a cool little indie comedy/horror, especially if you're a board game player. It's one of those dark comedies where one thing goes wrong and things just keep getting worse, fun right? There are a few spots where it feels like the characters are talking just for the sake of passing time but really, I was on board with them so I didn't mind "hanging out" with them a little more.

Rating: 6/10


Your standard "movie theater working teens screen a forgotten film and unleash a succubus" movie. It's a good time and I think it'd be a great one to do a watch party with friends. It's a little weird (which I like!) and has some good gore. There is one scene that will have men squirming in their seats, and that's all I'm going to say about that!

Rating: 7/10

Did you catch anything interesting this month? 
Let me know in the comments.

Month
New: 4   Rewatch: 0

Year to Date
New: 71  Rewatch:3
Didn't Finish:

No comments:

Post a Comment