May 15, 2019

Space Inavders Dice & Kickstarter

A couple weeks ago, I got an email from Miniature Market about their latest clearance sale. I always browse the sales but rarely buy anything. But when I saw this on sale for less than $10 I figured why not check it out.


Note: the invader does not come with the game, he just showed up for the photo shoot.
What you get in the box are a bunch of dice, a pad of score sheets, and a rule book. I have to say, the rule book could have been written better. This isn't a terribly complex game yet I couldn't find answers to a couple questions I had while playing. Thank the Internet gods there is BoardGameGeek.com! There I was able to find better clarification on the rules.


You get one UFO die, 3 fire dice, 8 attack dice, and a pad of score sheets (see below).
 One fan on Board Game Geek made up this sweet custom playing sheet.

I was going to break down how the game plays but decided I'd basically just be posting the rule book and most people don't want to read that. I am not most people. I, for some reason, really enjoy reading game rules and exploring their mechanics.

Here's a quick 4 minute video that covers how to play.


Despite have a couple questions that the rule book couldn't quite answer, I had a lot of fun when I played. I don't know if I'd say a surprising amount but it was definitely more fun that I was thinking it would be. I didn't get as high of a score as Matt here in the video but I did almost clear the board.


The box says the game is for 1-4 players and the rules offer up some options for "multiplayer" but I really think the game will play best solo. In fact, I think this would be a pretty great mobile game to kill some time. That will likely never happen as the company that made this game, Turn One Gaming Supplies, has vanished into the virtual ether. Their former web address now brings you a sketchy site that wants to install something on your PC.

As of this post, Miniature Market still has the game on sale for $7 and I think it's totally worth it at that price if you're a Space Invader fan. They also have a set 6 regular dice with Space Invader graphics replacing the pips for just $3.

If you're looking for something a little meatier for your game night adventures, zip over to Kickstarter and check out the just launched campaign for Space Invaders - The Board Game.


It looks like it could be a good time! And if you've got an extra grand burning a hole in your pocket you can get a limited collectible art piece that is absolutely beautiful.


3 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool! Space Invaders was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! My kids and I still play the old 80s Centipede board game. I'm sure they would have a blast with this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know there was a new Centipede board game released recently?

      Delete