Jun 1, 2015

Monthly Movie Recap - May 2015

Another month gone, another month closer to a new Star Wars movie! As usual, clicking on a film title will take you to Amazon where you can buy it and help support the site. And by "support the site" I mean give me a small credit at Amazon. 

I'm sad to say, I'm late to the Netflix party. The only reason I have it now is a free month and to watch Daredevil. If any flicks I watch were seen on Netflix, I'll note it after the title in case you're interested in seeing it.

Plenty of action but I'd love to see Whedon's first cut with the 40 or so missing minutes. They tried to pack too much into it story-wise which may lead you to online research to figure out what it all means. I would have loved to see it go to a more philosophical sci-fi place with Ultron pondering what it is to be alive. 

Cool: Hawkeye's farm; amazing action; Scarlet Witch (even though she's not the comic version)
Lame: Ultron's speaker cheeks; story is a little confusing in places because there's so much packed in
Rating: 8/10

(Couldn't find a trailer but the whole MST3k movie is on YouTube!)

Third movie, third actor playing Death Stalker. These are just getting cheesier as they go. I'm going to see the series through to the end although I'm not looking forward to the last one.

Cool: Definitely a guilty pleasure flick...for somebody out there
Lame: Horribly dubbed wizard.
Rating: 4/10


Wolfcop (2014)
The title should pretty much tell you if you're going to enjoy this or not! But unless you hate a good time, you'll probably like this grindhouse-y horror comedy.

Cool: He's not just a cop that's a werewolf, he's a werewolf that's a cop!
Lame: I don't know if this is the only cinematic werewolf on human sex scene, but it's the only one I've ever seen.
Rating: 7/10

Pitch Perfect (2012)
This wasn't my pick but I ended up liking it more than I thought. I've never watched Glee, but I imagine it's like that crossed with Bring It On.

Cool: as much as I like the songs
Lame: it seems like the whole thing was done to sell a soundtrack
Rating: 6/10

Chris D’Elia: Incorrigible (2015) Netflix
There's not much to talk about, it's a stand up special! I really enjoyed it, but I like him anyway. He's a very kinetic and expressive comic.

Rating: 8/10


Dead Before Dawn (2012) Netflix
It's not amazing but it's better than a lot of the "never heard of it before" stuff I manage to find. I didn't even realize it was originally done for 3D until researching it later. Turns out, it's also the first female directed stereoscopic 3D feature.

Cool: Christopher Lloyd & Kevin McDonald
Lame: The CGI looks like it's out of a video game but it's used very sparingly
Rating: 6.5/10

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014)
A lot of the humor comes from the characters making observations/commentary on the time they're living in, which is a little odd at first. If you're not a fan of MacFarlane's TV work or juvenile humor, you should probably skip it.

Cool: Comedic deaths; Liam Neeson as the bad guy
Lame: Nothing to say here
Rating:  7/10

Full short on YouTube

Hellyfish (2014)
I'm not counting this as a "movie" because it's only 15 minutes long but I have to mention it because it's so much silly fun. Killer mutant jellyfish is all you need to know. If you've got 15 minutes to spare, check it out on YouTube.


Month Total
 New: 7  Rewatch:0

Year Total
 New: 31  Rewatch: 3

1 comment:

  1. We enjoyed "Hellyfish"... Giant man-eating jellyfish.... cool...

    ReplyDelete