May 30, 2012

Pop Art

Here's a little something you don't know about me: I like checking out new beverages. I'm not a drinker so I'm strictly talking about sodas and juices. Any time I'm going to be in the car for more than a short trip, I'll swing into a convenience store to pick up a drink. It usually takes me a couple minutes to check out the selection and settle on something. I'm always looking for the new thing.

This may stem from my childhood. My grandparents had a small bar in their basement, behind which was a spare refrigerator stocked with a variety of store brand sodas. My cousin and I, who are close in age, would be there a lot in the summer either visiting or being watched. We often "played bar" and mixed up sodas to make new tastes. I still do this today, especially if there is a self-serve soda fountain. (I highly recommend 75% Mountain Dew + 25% Fruit Punch)

Anyway, I happened into the local Cumberland Farms (they've gotten fewer and farther between lately) and found a new line of 88 cent flavored sodas. Of course I'd have to try them but what really sold me on them are the characters on each flavor. There's also a little blurb on the back of the bottle which I'll put below each photo.

Sucka Punch
Talk about a slobberknocker, Sucka Punch knocks out thirst and then some. 
Pineapple, orange, lemon, strawberry. It'll hit ya with everything it's got.

Anytime you have pineapple flavor without coconut, I'm there!
Verdict: Horrible! It starts out ok but the after taste reminds me of too many failed soda mixtures back in the day. I guess that's the Sucka Punch?

Razza Lemon
"Ooh a raspberry! Ooh another!" 
Razza is the loopy Lemon that skips around and seriously sweetens up your day. 
So take a sip, and smile like silly.

I especially enjoy lemonade on hot days.

I'm stockpiling Blue Raspberry Lemonade Kool-Aid.
Verdict: Good mix of Raspberry and Lemon. Win!

Lotta Melon
There's a whole Lotta Melon going on.
This mean green gives your taste buds a-shaking with a serious wallop.
It's like a watermelon to your face.
Whap! Mmmmm.

Probably the only flavor I like more than pineapple is watermelon!
Verdict: Not as liquid-candy sweet as the Jolly Rancher Watermelon soda, and that's a good thing!

I haven't tasted any of them yet but that will change! And then I'll be heading back to the store to pick up the other flavors. I didn't count but I know there's at least five more.

3 comments:

  1. Neat stuff. I too thought that Cumby's were going extinct, but in my area (Upstate NY) they are making a comeback in a huge sort of way. They've all been remodeled and many added soda fountains where you can add flavored syrup to any soda you want. You can play bar til your heart is content. As far as the Dew/Punch combo...I think I shall try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to be everywhere and now there are 2 within a 30 minute drive. Guess they all got bought out by other companies.

      Delete
  2. WOW you just made my mouth water!! I'm pretty thirsty over here :)

    ReplyDelete