Jul 1, 2019

Monthly Movie Recap - June 2019

Hey, everyone! I just got back from an amazing vacation to Alaska with a pit stop in Seattle. There will be plenty of posts with "vacation photos" but I promise they won't be boring! I'm going to space them out so you're not bombarded.


Streaming

Black Mirror (Netflix) - Perhaps the most disappointing thing about this new season is that it's only 3 episodes! I never imagined I'd be saying my favorite episode from any series would have Miley Cyrus in it, but here we are. Striking Vipers was great. I love sci-fi that challenges the brain.

Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix) - I am really going to miss this show! The sense of humor it has is just perfect. If you haven't checked out this zom-com yet, it's worth your time.

On to the big screen!

Predators (2010)
A passable action flick. Doesn't really do much for the Predators, they just seem to keep introducing a bigger, badder one every movie. Because they don't talk, we have to rely on the humans observing them to get any insight into them. If you're going to keep making movies about them, we need to learn more about them. That said, it wasn't as dumb as The Predator.

Rating: 5/10


Doomed: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four (2015, Amazon)
Whether you've seen it or have just heard stories about this odd, never released movie, I would highly recommend this. There's plenty of interviews with the people in front of and behind the cameras that really paint a picture of the production. It just might give you a new appreciation, or at least a new view, of this legendary catastrophe.

47 Meters Down (2017, Netflix)
This was okay. I didn't know if two people trapped in a cage underwater would keep my attention but it did. Although there's nothing supernatural or genetic with these sharks it plays a lot like a typical horror movie with jump scares and a couple of fake outs. I do have to give it props for the whole trapped underwater thing though, it got the claustrophobia/running out of air feeling across well. I don't know why but there's a sequel coming. Doesn't exactly scream "franchise" to me.

Rating: 6/10


Possum (2018. Amazon)
First, thanks to Mr Chad Savage for raving about this one, otherwise I may have missed it. This is the kind of movie I love. You may have some expectation going into it then it takes you on a completely different ride leaving you wondering where you'll end up. I don't think it's for every horror fan but I encourage you to give it a shot for the experience.

Rating: 8/10

John Carter (2012, Netflix)
I wanted to love this movie. Everything my eyes were seeing was saying I should love this movie. I never connected with Carter and had trouble keeping up with who was on which side and why I should care that the bad guys don't come out on top. Ultimately I think what it lacked for me was fun and I got a little bored with it. If I had seen this before any other scifi movies in my life I'd probably liked it more. The original story may have come before lots of other movies, but I've seen a lot of this already.

Rating: 5/10

Men in Black International (2019, RealD 3D)
I really liked Hemsworth and Thompson in Thor Ragnarok and they seem to be having fun here. The movie is just okay unfortunately. The script is pretty by the book. When they discover there's a mole in MiB, there's no surprise when they "reveal" who it is. The movie exists in the same world as previous ones and it's a world I like but there wasn't enough newness to keep it fresh.

Rating: 6/10, I wouldn't suggest full price, but good for a matinee or drive-in.


Joan Jett Bad Reputation (2018)
I love Rock N Roll! I've been a fan of Joan's since that song came out and have only become a bigger fan as she has released new music and I discovered The Runaways. This documentary gives a good account of Jett's journey to becoming the bad ass that she is. There's plenty of celeb interviews from Miley Cyrus to Micheal J Fox. I love Joan Jett, not just for her music, but because she's also an awesome person that uses her status to help other people.

Month
New: 7  Rewatch: 0

Year to Date
New: 40  Rewatch: 2

2 comments:

  1. I recently watched "DOOMED!" and it was incredible to hear the cast and crews stories about the minuscule budget, the run down working conditions and the fun they had working on the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great watch. It sounds like they had a great time working on it even though they knew it wasn't a big budget film.

      Delete