Jul 17, 2019

Kickstarter - The Decline of Mall Civilization

If you were around in the 80s, you no doubt have some special memories of going to the local mall. It was the one place where you could do it all: shop, hang out with friends, eat, and play video games. Unlike the malls today, there was actually "mall culture" back then.

Hold on to your leg warmers, because Michael Galinsky wants to take you back to 1989.


I wish I had known about the first book when it came out because I totally would have gotten one. If you don't want to miss out, head over to Kickstarter and snag yourself a copy for $44 or for just $10 you can get a 4x6 postcard featuring an image from the book. They've just about hit triple their funding goal already so this is definitely going to happen!

See you at the mall!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Those were rare in my neck of the woods back in the day. My local mall had an indie music store called Side One Records (not related to the music label of similar name).
      The next town over had a Strawberries which was a New England based chain store.

      Delete
  2. So cool! Will definitely be participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! This is some nostalgia. I'm looking at my childhood here! We all loved the malls. Our local mall has gone through a lot of changes in recent years, but I'm happy to say that it's filling up again. Interestingly, we seem to be going the arcade/game route more than new stores.

    I was recently looking at photos of what our mall looked like in the 70s on Pinterest. I bet if you go on Pinterest, you can find some pics of what your local mall looked like decades back. Looking at those old photos is a little eerie and a little emotional of a thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't able to find any pics specifically from the malls I frequented but I did find lots from the 80s era.

      Delete