Nov 30, 2016

Monthly Movie Recap - November 2016

 

Just a little over two weeks until Rogue One! I'm very interested to see how the first anthology movie is going to play out. The movie recap is dropping a day early because tomorrow is December 1st, kicking off the 13 Days of Creepmas!


Raiders! The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made (2015, Netflix)
You might have heard about this shot-for-shot Raiders fan film that some kids decided to make back in the 80s. This is the story of their adult selves returning to the project to get the final scene and finish the movie. It's a pretty great story, must watch for Indy fans.

You can achieve your childhood dream, even if it takes you 30+ years...and almost losing your job.

Rating: 8/10

Doctor Strange (2016)
Dr. Strange was definitely on my top 3 list of favorite Marvel characters I would never expect to see in a movie. I'm happy to say they handled it well! There was a lot more humor than I was expecting. I was kind of hoping for a little more of a horror angle from the director of Sinister but maybe we'll get there in the future.

Cool: The visuals are amazing!
Lame: The handling of time. Not in the magical sense, but the storytelling sense. The director said Strange's training for about a year. They do a poor job of conveying this so it doesn't feel like he's prepared enough to do what needs to be done at the end. And what is the villain doing during all this time?

Rating: 8/10, if you're even thinking about seeing this, do it in IMAX 3D. You can thank me later.


Sinister (2012)
Wanted to check this out after seeing Dr Strange to get an idea of what the director might have been able to do had he gone a with more of a horror vibe. I honestly thought I had seen this as I frequently confuse the Blumhouse horror movies like Insidious and The Conjuring. It's not often I see a horror movie that creeps me out to any degree so kudos to you, Sinister! More than scares, I like a horror movie that can give a sense of dread.

Cool: The concept/history of the entity. The 8mm home movies are fantastically eerie.
Lame: Bughuul sounds more like a bodily function that a wicked demon

Rating: 7/10

The Purge: Election Year (2016)
Not as action packed as the second installment but I still really enjoyed it. It's kind of similar to the last one in that there is a group trying to survive out on the streets on Purge Night. It does a decent job of wrapping up the series...at least until the President-elect sees the movies and thinks it's a good idea to start doing this for real.

Cool:Some good fights and one really amazing headshot effect.
Lame: Some may be turned off by the "political" theme

Rating: 7/10


Deadly Friend (1986)
I haven't see all of Wes Craven's movies but this has to be the worst! The trailer doesn't even do a good job of telling what the movie is really about. Having said that, this is a really fun bad movie!

Cool: If you never watch this movie, at least watch the graphic basketball scene.
Lame: The ending is a bit...weird

Rating: 3/10 (actual), 5/10 (so bad it's good)


Stake Land (2010, Netflix)
This could have been just another post-undead apocalypse movie but the characters and slight twist on the setting make it a good time. This is how I prefer my vampire films, where they are the threat! Although the group leader has a "been there, seen it all" attitude, you do get to discover the world through the young man he rescues at the start of the film.

Cool: Really like the ghoulish, feral look of the vamps.
Lame: Only just found out the sequel aired on SyFy last month. If I'd been aware of that I would have watched this sooner!

Rating: 6/10

Month Total
 New: 6  Rewatch: 0

Year Total
 New: 65  Rewatch:3

No comments:

Post a Comment