May 9, 2018

The Greatest Comeback in Star Wars

No, I"m not talking about Luke in The Last Jedi. I'm talking about another character that's been around almost as long that we haven't seen much of over the past 40 years who recently returned to comics in IDW's Star Wars Adventures Annual for 2018.


And that character is...


That's right, Jaxxon! The 6' tall green skinned anthropomorphic rabbit! He (and his pirate partner Amaiza) were first introduced way back in 1977 in Marvel's Star Wars #8 when they started telling stories beyond the original film. I know under Disney "everything is supposed to be canon" but since this is comic isn't done by Marvel I'm not sure if it is.

Really, I don't even care. I'm just happy to see him back again! They may not have been around much since 1977, but they haven't changed too much since then either. This new story seems to take place before Empire so not much "real" time has passed.


They didn't get along quite so well during their first meeting. Or, more accurately, Amaiza didn't want anything to do with Jaxxon. And she also had a...uh, slightly more revealing wardrobe back then. Hey, it was the 70s.

Maybe it's because I read these original Marvel comics when I was 7 and at the time they were the only other Star Wars stories available outside of the movie, but I've always had a special place for Jaxxon, Amaiza, and the rest of the Star Hoppers of Aduba-3. It's kind of like Seven Samurai but with Han, Chewie, and a really oddball backup cast. Like I said, it was the 70s and as crazy as the stories got at times, I couldn't get enough.

Of course, being a big green rabbit, Jaxxon has been viewed in almost the same light as Jar Jar by some fans. Me? I think he's pretty cool. He's very much like Rocket Raccoon. He's a walking, gun-toting animal with a New York accent.
And he doesn't like being called certain things.


Being a member of the Lepus carnivorus (or Lepi) race, Jaxxon packs quite a kick! 
As you can see, the writers of the new story (below) did their homework.


If you want to find out more about Jaxxon, you can hit his Wookieepedia page but I'd suggest tracking down the original Marvel Star Wars issues 8-11 and 16. And of course Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018 for his latest adventure.

2 comments:

  1. I still don’t understand how IDW is able to publish Star Wars comics when Marvel owns the property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It is odd that they would allow another company to publish Star Wars titles.

      Delete