Aug 1, 2026

Monthly Media Recap - August 2026

 Some people say July 5th is the start of spooky season but I prefer August 1st. 
91 days until Halloween!
Links will take you to a trailer.
 
In writing the post, I realized there's an unintentional Riverdale reunion among three of the movies. Do you know which ones or am I the only grown ass adult that watched Riverdale? 
 
 
Series
 
First, what's with that title? Are they planning a Legally Blonde Cinematic Universe? That aside, this was a lot of fun. If you like watching Elle Woods do her thing, you'll get it in spades...pink spades. You can tell the actress playing young Elle studied her character and mannerisms. The supporting cast is pretty great too. 
 
Gatchaman Progress
Only 3 this month. Currently up to 85
 
 
Movies
 
 
Lee Cronin's The Mummy (2026, HBO Max)
I'm still holding a low key grudge against this. It is an absolutely terrible movie if you're wanting a lot of Mummy. However, it's a pretty solid Evil Dead movie, which I guess should be expected since the director's previous movie was Evil Dead Rise. My bad for not watching the trailer, I guess. I call this one Evil Dead Rise 2: Egyptian Boogaloo. Definitely have to give it credit for "going there" in some scenes and the gore.
 
Rating: 6/10
 
The Long Walk (2025, HBO Max)
How do you make an interesting movie when 99% of it is teens walking? Excellent writing and great actors. This really sucked me in. I feel like I got to know these guys and when it's time for some of them to leave, it hits you. With what the movie gives you (not a lot), the premise doesn't make much sense but it's more about the journey.
 
Rating: 8/10
 
*Enola Holmes (2020, Netflix)
Pre-game rewatch to gear up for the newest installment. Didn't remember a lot of it so I had a good time all over again. It's good to see MBB playing someone other then Eleven, especially a character that's more light hearted.
 
Rating: 7/10
 
 
Forbidden Fruits (2026, Shudder)
Tosses The Craft, Heathers, and Mean Girls into an upscale clothing store in a mall. Overall, I liked it but there are some parts where the pacing was a bit slow. It's definitely got "a vibe" that you can't help but feel throughout. Unfortunately, I'm on a different wavelength but I predict it's going to find cult status with people that feel the vibe.
 
Rating: 6/10
 
Obsession (2025, Peacock)
Well deserving of all the praise (and money!) it's gotten. I only knew Inde Navarrette from TV's Superman and Lois but she hits this out of the park and into a whole other ball field! She deserves an Oscar nod for this performance. Creepy and sometimes shocking, this is the perfect case of being careful what you wish for.
 
Rating: 9/10 
 
 
Spooktacular! (2023, Prime, Shudder, Tubi)
A documentary about the first Halloween horror theme park: Spookyworld! It's not often you get to see a doc about something in your state...at least one that doesn't involve an investigation. Even if you've never heard of it, if you're a lover of Halloween, there's plenty to enjoy in seeing how this local legend came to be. 
 
I had such high hopes for this after seeing the trailers. What happened? For the amount of fighting and kool moves it has, it's kind of boring. There's little to no oomph in the fights no matter how kool they look. But I will say, they don't hold back on the fatalities when they come along. It's got a 2020s budget with a 1990s script. They should have made Johnny the main focus and let Karl Urban do his thing..although it's weird hearing him do an American accent.
 
Rating: 6/10 
 
 
Ready or Not 2: Here I Come (2026, Hulu)
Scream queens Samara Weaving and Kathryn Newton teaming up? Yes, please! This picks up right at the end of the first one and continues the cult craziness with more of the comedy and violence that made that one so much fun. Plus now you've got Elijah Wood and Sarah Michelle Gellar in the mix!
 
Rating: 8/10
 
Masters of the Universe (2026, Prime)
At best, I've been a casual MotU fan. I watched the cartoon and only ever had a Skeletor figure because he looked cool. That said, I feel like this movie had a target and shot with 100% accuracy. This is the Flash Gordon for the 2020s, except they knew what they were making. It's an incredibly fun action movie that serves up plenty of knowing winks to its fan base. Oh, and if you're worried about Jared Leto being in it, don't. You won't even notice him because you never see his face.
 
Rating: 7/10  
 
This Month
New: 8  Rewatch: 1
 
Year to Date
New: 48  Rewatch: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment