Aug 1, 2024

Monthly Media Recap - July 2024

Another month and lots more trailers for you to check out. 
And don't worry, no Deadpool spoilers here!
 
 
Series
 
That 90s Show (S2, Netflix)
I figured when this started it was going to be another "legacy sequel" cash grab but the show has continued to grow on me out of the gate. The cast has great chemistry and it's kind of a throwback to the days when sitcoms were king.
 
The Boys (S4, Amazon Prime)
What. A. Finale! The show continues to impress and there's always a couple scenes every season where you can't believe they did that. As hard as they go on the gore and violence, there's actually some nice family dynamics too. Can't wait to see how it wraps up next season.

Movies

I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at the movies. Actually, I don't know if I've ever laughed this much. It almost felt like Airplane! where the jokes are just coming a mile a minute. Coming in right behind (excuse me?) the jokes is a lot of gratuitous violence. Even though the jokes and violence are entertaining enough, there's no denying Reynolds and Jackman are having a great time. If you're a long time Marvel fan and get to see this spoiler free, you're in for some real treats! I don't usually recommend 3D but it's worth it here. And if you can't keep up reading the credits, be sure to check the cast list on IMDB for cameos you may have missed.

Rating: 9/10, I could have walked out after the opening credit sequence and I would have got my money's worth of entertainment

 
Deadstream might have come after, but it did the whole live-stream horror a lot better. Maybe I'm just not hip enough (too old) to appreciate a gang of influencers going to an abandoned murder house but I found it kind of boring. I just was not clicking with these characters and got tired of seeing their faces up in the camera.The story, as it was, is solid and I think with different actors I might have enjoyed it more.

Rating: 5/10



The Deep Web: Murdershow (2023, Tubi)
Featuring my top runner for worst protagonist of the year! I could not stand the lead actor in this. I kept hoping he was going to be on the Murdershow. Also not sure why they went with Deep Web when they call it Dark Web in the movie. Despite the title, I don't feel like they leaned enough into the "livestream/pay to have the killers do what you want" thing.

Rating: 4/10



Arcadian (2024, Shudder)
Some kind of apocalyptic event has happened and weird creatures come out a night to...eat you? Use you for reproduction? I'm still not clear on that but the creatures have an interesting design and can be really creepy. Cage is in this but not as much as you'd think and he's not the usual Cage being Cage we've come to expect.
 
Rating: 7/10



Curtains for Christmas (2024)
Director/writer/Fangoria Chainsaw Award Winner Steve Rudzinski is back again with his latest crowd funded horror movie. This time he's poking fun at Hallmark holiday movies and I'm here for it! Rudzinski gets low budget right every time. There's something sincere about his film making that I find charming and when you're enjoying what's being done you don't care as much about the flash.

Rating: 6/10



I'm not sure why the Egyptian mummies had English accents but it was cute. It's pretty standard as these things go: girl and boy that can't stand each other fall in love, cute animal sidekick, occasional musical numbers.

Rating: 5/10

It's summer time so that means shark movies!
You'll be amazed at how many Shark movies are on Tubi.


 
If you enjoy bad movies, this is certainly is one. It feels like it was intentional but it's just an okay bad movie. It's got everything: crazy plot, bad acting, cheap effects, and a puppet ghost shark that spits fireballs. There's also some non-nude exploitation but there's a few scenes where they linger too long on the girls and it felt creepy. And you'll never guess who the big bad is at the end! Unfortunately, I only found out there is a RiffTrax version after watching it.

Rating: 3/10


A good chunk of this takes place in Hell and it certainly felt like it. The Hell stuff was excruciatingly boring even with the occasional bikini girl appearance. Once they get out, it gets a little more tolerable...sort of. I will say, the Shark looks much better this go round and having a giant monster battle at the end almost made it worth sitting through.

Rating: 4/10

This Month
New: 8    Rewatch: 0
 
Year to Date
New: 67   Rewatch: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment