Sep 1, 2023

Monthly Media Recap - August 2023

 Welcome to September, the blog hibernation month. This will likely be my only post until the end of the month so I can focus on cranking out 31 posts for the annual Countdown to Halloween starting in October!
 

Streaming Series
 
With X-Men 97 coming soon, I thought I'd revisit the series since I never watched it all the way through. The animation doesn't seem to have held up well in places. Some shots are done with weird angles and characters can have funky proportions. But, I still enjoy the stories and was surprised just what they packed in with plots, villains, and guest characters.

This show is quickly on its way to becoming an all time favorite and it's just getting better season after season. The writing is so damn funny and I would love to hang out with these characters.

Movies



I am usually up for a good grindhouse exploitation flick but this one had a hard time keeping my attention.The sex scenes look like they were done by an alien that's only had the concept of human sex described to them. The only thing that really kept me watching was Colleen Camp, who played Yvette the maid in Clue.

Rating: 4/10

I have so many questions. Why do robots on an alien planet look like Earth animals? Why do they have fur and feathers? And I still want to know what genius gave Prime a mouth. Oh right, it's a Transformers movie and I'm not supposed to ask these kind of questions. Remember when the cartoon used to air a 5-part series over a week? That's what this felt like to me. Good on them for doing a soft reboot but this one is still more spectacle than substance.

Rating: 5/10



This was...okay. I'm not quite sure who the audience is for this. It almost feels like a Disney Channel movie but it's missing the fun and it's about as scary as an episode of Goosebumps. Spoiler alert: you see the extent of the monster's attacks in the trailer. It picks people up by the throat and...well, that's pretty much it. I have to give it points for introducing me to Crom Cruach.

Rating: 5/10

Haunted Mansion (2023)
I haven't seen the first one since it came out but I remember it wasn't quite what I hoped for. This one? I LOVED it! I will say though, the more familiar you are with the attraction, the more you'll enjoy the movie because you'll get more of the references. It's a little spooky in places with humor and some surprisingly emotional beats. My one complaint is the product placement.

Rating: 8/10



Killer Book Club (2023, Netflix)
I think this is the first 90s throwback horror I've come across. It's basically a Scream knock-off mixed with a little I Know What You Did Last Summer complete with all the horror tropes we've seen many times. It's not a terrible movie, heck it might even be better if you haven't seen the above mentioned ones. The kills are mostly decent but it's just not very original.

Rating: 5/10

American Murder: The Family Next Door (2020, Netflix) 
This was an interesting take on the usual crime documentary. It's mostly footage from police body cams and holding rooms with videos from the victim's Facebook page. In between all of this are overlays of text conversations the victim had over the weeks leading to her murder.
 


CarousHELL 3 (2023)
Without a doubt, THE best wrap up to a trilogy about a sentient carousel horse! I've really enjoyed this oddball, off the wall series. Low budget can be a hard sell for me but there's a lot of heart in the series and a surprising amount of character development. You can tell the folkd behind the camera care about what they're making. Like the last two, there's plenty of blood and, of course, a sex scene even more over the top than the last. I don't think it's for everyone and I wouldn't suggest jumping in without seeing the first two. 

Rating: 7/10



From the same Fangoria Chainsaw Award winner that brought you the Caroushell series comes this anthology adaptation of the NSFW horror parody book series Shingles. Similar to those movies, this is not for the easily offended and there is a sex scene with a sentient inanimate object. One of the stories was a bit boring for me but the rest more than made up for it.

Rating: 6/10

It may be "inspired by true events" but you're getting exactly what you'd expect with a title like this and it's fantastic! I really wish I'd seen this with an audience, it's just such a crazy, fun time. I was actually expecting a little more gore but I think keeping it reigned in a little keeps it from going into what ever is past "perfectly campy".

Rating: 7/10

Month Total
New: 9   Rewatch: 0

Year to Date Total
New: 65   Rewatch: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment