Apr 12, 2023

Dungeons & Dragons Minatures

 At one point in my teens I started experimenting with painting miniatures. Technically, I don't think any of these are specifically D&D branded figures but I think it makes for a clearer post title then "Little Meal Fantasy Figures." I got my feet a little wet at an even earlier age by messing around with some of the figures from my Dragonriders of the Styx Tower of Night playset.

For the most part, the games I played in were "theater of the mind" and we rarely used maps and minis. If a map was needed, it was usually a quick sketch of the area to give the players a better idea of how things were laid out.

These are by no means high art and were done by a total novice decades before you could go online and find a tutorial for everything under the sun. The paint is old and wearing off in places. Partially because I had no clue about sealing them once done and them all being kept in a long, thin jewelry box like you'd use to keep a watch or bracelet. I should probably give them a better home.


With these being generic figures, it's up to you to decide how to paint them. Since it was so long ago, I can't say what I might have been thinking except black and red look really cool together. I can definitely see this dude cracking some monster skulls.


Did this minotaur work with the previous guy? 
They look like they might have had he same tailor.


I was (still am!) pretty happy with how this one came out given the details on him.


On his back he's got a bedroll, backpack, a sack, frying pan and hand ax.


You can't have a post about fantasy minis and not have your standard beard-sporting, robe wearing, magic staff toting wizard! Of course, he's also got the stereotypical gray beard. Could I have made him a young, hip wizard? Probably but would a brown beard really look as good?


Since we're talking staples of fantasy, here's a thief. I tried to put a little bandit mask on him. I usually gravitate towards Dexterity type characters.


These guys came in a two-pack. It's kind of hard to see but this one has blood around his mouth and splashed on his armor. The black spots on his arms are supposed to be patches of hair. I may have gone just a little overboard with the 'blood' on him.


Speaking of hair...This one looks like he needs some Just for Trolls hair coloring.


What's worse than a ninja? How about an undead ninja! Why is the skeleton green? I was probably thinking whatever magic was being used made him glow. I'm also a little proud of this one where I did my best to paint the lines between the bones, especially the rib cage. Someone who knew how to paint would probably have painted the rib cage black and then green over that. You know, the easy way? Not me! Mainly because I didn't know better, I painted the green first and then managed to get a small brush between the ribs.

2 comments:

  1. I loved painting D&D miniatures. Never played the game but loved the miniatures. To this day, I still want to buy a Grenadier Dwarf Set. Was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a couple of Star Wars sets I did too but I have no idea where those are right now.

      Delete