Sep 1, 2022

Monthly Media Recap - August 2022

Here we are two months until Halloween! Things will probably be a little quiet on here for the next month as I'll be putting my normal blog time towards cranking out 31 posts for the blogger Countdown to Halloween.

There's quite a few trailers this month because some of these just have to be seen!


Streaming Series

I happened to catch a recent ad for this on the CW so decided to check it out from the start over the past couple months. It's like Cops with a workplace camera crew but they're dealing with supernatural things. The main characters are not the smartest but it makes it that much funnier to see their encounters.

Midnight Mass (2022, Netflix)
Late to the game here despite hearing great things about it. Definitely a slow burn but once it's lit, there's no putting it out! The religious crazy combined with the horror elements is very well done. I'm not the biggest fan of the monster type featured (no spoilers) but this actually got me to enjoy them. Highest of recommends!

LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation (2022, Disney+)
This was kind of cute. Definitely not canon as it hops all over the timeline. I'm not thrilled with how the Galactic Cruiser Halcyon is being pushed into everything because it just feels like marketing synergy. I know, I know, that's what Star Wars does but it starts to feel really forced (ha) after a comic series, this special, and another upcoming novel set there.

Light & Magic (2022, Disney+)
If you have any interest in special effects, this is a must watch. It's pretty amazing all the things that have come out of ILM being formed. It was awesome to see all these people whose names I knew growing up talking about their experiences at ILM. It's got some great home movie footage of them at work and even the odd Star Wars behind the scenes stuff I haven't seen before.

Movies



Shark Side of the Moon (2022, Tubi)
Were you one of those weirdos like me that would tune in to the SyFy Original movies and ruthlessly mock how bad they are? Well, the company behind most of those flicks, The Asylum, has a new home on Tubi! Their latest offering features Russian engineered shark people on the moon. What more do you need to know?

Rating: 3/10



Well, thanks for taking the mystery out of who the killer could be, movie title! This hit the sweet spot for me of campy horror. It's a pretty fun flick with some different kills. Now I'm really curious just how large the ventilation systems are in a mall. If you need another reason to watch, how about Morgan Fairchild AND Pauly Shore?

Rating: 6/10

It stands for Collective Order of Recreational Necrophilantropists, doctors (?) that kidnap and murder people for parts in an annual contest to see who can put together the best specimens. I can't believe I'm going to say this...but I wish Rob Zombie had directed this one. The setup seems perfect for his style and it needed more gore and body horror. It does sort of feel like a low budget "inspired by" House of 1000 Corpses now that I think about it. There's some okay parts and there's some really dumb logic parts like hiding in a well lit pool. But the biggest sin is that it's set around/on Halloween and they do almost nothing with it.

Rating: 4/10

This right here, this tickled me to no end. It's got a very Troma vibe to it. Not so much the gore/blood (although there's some of that) but with how it slaps you in the face as it keeps trying to offend your religious sensibilities. Luckily, I'm not a religious person so I wasn't offended in the least. It's silly and dumb but I think they had a good time making it and that really makes it enjoyable to watch.You can see the trailer on YouTube. It's age locked(?) so I didn't put it here.

Rating: 5/10



How do make cosmic horror even weirder? Set it in a rest stop bathroom! J.K. Simmons is deliciously creepy as the voice of an alien god. I can't really say too much about this one without spoilers but it's absolutely worth seeing if you enjoy your horror a little on the weird side!

Rating: 8/10



Have you ever wondered what a SyFy Original superhero movie would look like if it were made in Russia? If so, I've got your movie right here! It's not great, the effects are mediocre and the English dubbing is laughable but it's got a guy that's a werebear toting a chain gun...so that's something.

Rating: 4/10



Shudder dropped this trio of Japanese movies and they all have these wild poster images so I figured I'd check one out. Despite a few scenes with blood, this leans more towards an "Abbott & Costello Meets" movie than a straight horror flick. The spirit monsters are whimsical and fun but a couple are also a little creepy. Of course, not growing up with Japanese folklore they all feel odd to me which only helps the weirdness factor. It did take me back to being a kid and watching monster movies on Saturday afternoons so if you're a fan of OG Godzilla and pals, give it a shot. Definitely going to watch the other two and see if I can track down the 2005 remake.

Rating: 7/10

Monthly Total
New: 7   Rewatch: 0

Year to Date
New: 58   Rewatch: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment