Jul 1, 2021

Monthly Media Recap - June 2021

How we all doin out there? Hope everyone is staying cool, literally! 
Can you believe we are 122 days away from Halloween??


Streaming

Channel Zero: No-End House (Shudder)
Finally got to watch the one season of this show I missed when it aired on SyFy. Just like the other seasons, it delivers on the weirdness and dread/despair. If you've never seen this series, I highly recommend it. Each season is a stand alone story and is just 6 episodes. It's best not to find out too much about it before watching.

Gilmore Girls (S2, Netflix)
I wouldn't say I'm addicted or obsessed but I do try to get one ep in every night. There's just something about the characters and the small town setting that I really enjoy. Even the supporting characters are well rounded out and given their time to shine.

Movies

This short film is about four trans women hanging out and imaging getting their revenge on the people that mock them.  It's got moments of great visual style and off the wall humor. It's obviously not for everyone but if you want to see something different, something outside your norm, give it a watch.

Rating: 7/10
 

The Ranger (2018, Shudder)
This was a pretty fun, 80s feel slasher. It gave me a Friday the 13th/Silent Night, Deadly Night vibe but instead of Jason/Santa, you have a crazy park ranger taking out kids that don't respect the park.

Rating: 7/10
 
The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021, HBO Max)
If you're a fan of Blumhouse horror, this delivers everything you've come to expect. There have been countless possession movies and this one has a couple things going for it. First is the relationship between the Warrens. You get a little of their backstory as people and that really gives the movie something extra. The other is a little twist on the possession itself that I won't spoil.

Rating: 6/10



Dead Rising: Watchtower (2015, Tubi)
That's right, a Crackle original movie! Remember Crackle? Whoever cut this trailer should have directed the movie. The humor implied here is almost non-existent in the movie except in the news segments with Rob Riggle. The main character is pretty bland, not very likeable, and doesn't sell me that he could survive his day to day life never mind a zombie outbreak. If you know the games, you may get a little more enjoyment out of this. I knew next to nothing about them going into this yet somehow I was able to pick up a few references to it.
 
Rating: 4/10
 
The Endgame you never asked for! While the first one was almost "meh" this one drops down to SyFy original level, and not the fun kind. A few of the actors come back but early everything from A(cting) to Z(ombies) is worse. It is a little more violent with the Z-kills but that's about the best thing I have to say about it.

Rating: 3/10

I thought I didn't hear good things about this (maybe that was Covenant?) but I really enjoyed it! I could see how long time Alien fans could be disappointed with some aspects of it but I feel it's even a great stand alone movie. This is the kind of sci-fi I totally dig, having that sense of wonder as people explore the unknown and there being things going on you can't quite wrap your brain around. It's got some great, lower case a, alien moments, some that had me squirming in my seat!

Rating: 7/10

Whether you grew up with D&D during the past four decades or just loved seeing the art on the books, this is a must watch! I read Art & Arcana: A Visual History (amazing in it's own right giving the history of TSR/D&D through art) but here you get many of the artists themselves on camera. Obviously they talk a lot about their art but there's also a few anecdotes sprinkled in about working for TSR back in the day. If you instantly know what I mean by "that statue image on the Player's Handbook" this is your jam.

Month
New: 7

Year to Date
New: 40     Rewatch: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment