Jul 1, 2016

Monthly Movie Recap - June 2016


Not too much going on last month movie-wise but there were a few fun ones.
Maybe you'll find something to check out over the long weekend.
Have yourself a happy and safe 4th of July!



Zoombies (2016, Netflix)
You pretty much know what you're getting when you sit down to a move from The Asylum, makers of Sharknado: bad acting, cheap effects, and crazy "plots". But once in awhile, they make a really good bad movie. This one was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. There's even some scenes where the effects look decent! The trailer should tell you if you might like it.

Cool: You haven't lived until you've seen zombified giraffe tearing a person apart!
Lame: When the effects are bad, they are baaaad (and that's not a sheep joke)

Rating: 6/10

*Battlestar Galactica (1978, Netflix)
I probably haven't seen the actual movie (aka pilot episodes) for decades but I still love it! Sure the effects don't hold up that well and there's several shots that get used over and over but it's got that 70s charm and I really like the story. I will take the original Cylons over the new ones every cycle of the secton!

Cool: The Star Wars ties of concept artist Ralph McQuarrie and FX master John Dykstra; The score
Lame: Ovions still kinda scary as an adult but not as freaky as those singers!

Rating: 7/10

X-Men Apocalypse (2016)
I think I'm getting cinematic X-fatigue and that's not a good thing considering they're my favorite hero team in comics. The last two movies were great and pretty good but this one's just missing...something. The short version is I just didn't find Apocalypse to be any sort of threat and was more intrigued with Magneto's story.

Cool: Nightcrawler; Quicksilver steals the show again
Lame: What happened to Quicksilver's little sister? Horsemen characters more mini-bosses than characters. Sophie Turner: great in Game of Thrones, not so much Jean Grey.

Rating: 6.5/10


Hot Rods to Hell (1967)
I don't know what it is in my DNA but I absolutely love these type of hot roddin' movies. Granted in this one, the teens are the bad guys even though they dress in tucked-in button down shirts. It's more of a drama about an all American family being threatened by the kids.

Cool: Produced by the legendary Sam Katzman
Lame: Lacks a lot of the hi-octane hijinks you might expect from the title

Rating: 5/10


This one was...interesting. At first I didn't think it was going to hold my attention but as it went along, I got more interested in hearing the actors' stories. There's not a ton of behind the scenes stuff to be had here, it's more about the handful of people they interviewed that had minor roles in Star Wars. Okay, there's one or two people that had more prominent roles but for the most part, they're background characters.

This doesn't come off as a documentary for the casual fan the way the actors are introduced but if you're more on the involved side, I say it's worth a watch to see some of these people that you barely see in the film.

Month Total
 New: 4  Rewatch:1

Year Total
 New: 33  Rewatch:3

No comments:

Post a Comment