Feb 17, 2015

Shannon Young's Derby Deck

As a casual collector of playing cards, I've found Kickstarter to be a great place to find interesting and unique decks of cards. Walking into any "regular" store, your choices are usually limited to mass produced Bicycle decks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them in the least!

One of my recently delivered Kickstarter decks is Shannon Young's Derby Deck. I really like this one because it combines pin-up girl tattoo-style art and roller derby. I''ve seen a handful of movies about roller derby. I've never been to a real live roller derby but I've always wanted to go. I think it's part of my fascination with 50s/60s culture.

Shannon Young Derby Deck cards box & back>

Card backs in general tend to have a mirrored image on them. This deck is a little different with a "good" girl vs "bad" girl art. But of course, the real stars are the face cards.

Shannon Young Derby Deck cards

This is why I love collecting playing cards. You can get a bunch of art and it doesn't take up a lot of space. I think it's almost a law that the Ace of Spades has to be a bad ass card and this deck follows suit (get it?). A few of my other favorites are the Queen of Diamonds in the upper right (sci-fi), Jack of Clubs (black cat), and Jack of Diamonds (rocker).

The decks just recently became available on Amazon,so order one!

No comments:

Post a Comment