May 20, 2015

Summer Swap 2015

To paraphrase Picasso, "Good bloggers copy, great bloggers steal." In honor of this, I'm stealing an idea from the Retroist/I See Robots where they had a "Junk Box" that made its way around the country. I signed up for it twice and the box never made its way to me. The point of this sad tale is that I have stuff that I've been picking up that would have been sent to someone out in the blogsphere and that stuff is still sitting around along with several months worth of Loot Crate loot that's just collecting dust.

So the question that came to me is: "Why am I keeping this stuff?" 
The answer is "I have no idea!" but that's great for you!

What I'm doing is putting the call out to fellow pop culture nerds, bloggers, toy geeks, and all around cool people that want to swap their dust collecting stuff for different stuff. In short, if you're reading this, you're the intended audience! Funny how that works.

So what exactly am I going on about?

Summer Swap 2015 or #SummerSwap2015 as it shall be known!
If you've got a better name, I'm open to suggestions.

How's it work?

I'll start it off with a Large Flat Rate Priority Box packed with stuff. That box will get mailed to the first person. They'll take some stuff out of the box and put some of their stuff in and send it on to the next person. Rinse and repeat until everyone on the list has gotten the box and it comes back to me. You can use a new large flat rate priority box if the original is too beat up but I think it'd be cool if it looked like a suitcase from an old movie with people decorating it with doodles, stickers, or what have you.

When does it start?

Either after 10 people sign up or several days go by without a new sign up but I'd like to get at least 5 people.


What can I send?

Whatever you want that fits in the box! Trading cards, magazines, comics, figures, books, oddities, pretty much anything you think someone else might enjoy. Or whatever stuff you're tired of looking at and want to get out of your house!

Who can join in?

I'd say anyone, but there's a catch. Because we're sending a box full of goodies, I want to make sure it gets to all intended destinations, so there's some trust involved. If you're someone that's done mail exchanges with me before or if you're someone I consider in my Circle of the Blogosphere, you're good. If you don't fit either of those, maybe you know someone that is and they can vouch for you or I'll figure something out.

What do I need to participate?

Some stuff to donate to the cause
$18, the cost of shipping the box 
Good communication skillz! You'll need to check in with me when you get the box as well as when you send it and provide your tracking number.

What do I do when I get the box?

Open it! Bask in the glory of surprise stuff!
Also, it'd be really cool if you could shoot a couple photos of what you scored and what you're putting in. It doesn't need to be a full blown post if you don't want, Instagram works too. Send me a link to your post and I'll post it here, tweet it and basically get it out there. Take a shot of the mascot with your collection, at a favorite eatery, or a local landmark. 
Have fun with it! 


The Mascot

Currently, these guys are vying for the coveted spot of Summer Swap 2015 Mascot. They'll travel in the box to your home. Who do you want hanging out with you and your collection?

How do I sign up?

Sign ups are now closed but you can keep up with Summer Swap 2015 by clicking on it on the right under topics.

13 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea! I have some swag and monthly mystery box odds and ends I'd like to share. Hope this catches on with other bloggers/traders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great idea too, that's why I stole it! lol

      Delete
  2. I wonder why you never got the junkbox? I got it both times and really enjoyed it, so I'm in for this one! One question, the stuff we send, does it matter if it's old or new? I'm guessing it doesn't matter as long as it's nerdy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I think there was some cosmic conspiracy to keep it away from me. Age ain't nothin but a number. In fact, I'm guessing most people would get an extra kick out of older things. I know I'm tossing a few in.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. There were a few specific people I had in mind with this project and you were definitely one of them. Welcome aboard!

      Delete
  4. This is such an EPIC idea. Let the games begin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Signed up! This will be AWESOME! I have so much sitting in boxes, it's time to send it on it's merry way.

    I had a similar idea to create my own monthly subscription box (like Loot Crate and Matt's indie Dino Drac Packs) called "Poop Crate" filled with random DI treasures I have hoarded over the years. I think I like this idea better though. :) Who knows though, maybe Poop Crate will one day be a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I'd say thanks, if I didn't swipe the idea :D

      Delete