Mar 1, 2021

Monthly Media Recap - February 2021

 A short month means not quite as many movies. That and I was totally absorbed by the Cecil Hotel doc on Netflix!


Streaming
 
Westworld (S1-S2, HBO Max) - The 1973 movie is one of my all time favorites and I wasn't sure how they would turn it into an ongoing series. I wasn't really expecting them to go in the direction they did but I love when sci-fi is used to address what it means to be human so I was all in. And then the end of the first season threw out a few wrenches and opened even more possibilites! Can't wait to keep watching.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Netflix) - Anime is one area of where my geekness is sorely lacking. It's not that I don't like it. I loved the Japanimation that was on TV daily as a kid. I know people love this which is why I wanted to check it out. But I'm 4 eps in and so far it's not really doing anything for me. I'll probably give it a couple more before deciding if I'll finish it.
 
Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel (Netflix) -  I had definitely seen the infamous elevator footage before coming into this, maybe it was back during American Horror Story: Hotel was on and I was poking around into the hotel. The story starts out kinda creepy and then becomes sad toward the end. Personally, I think something happened to her other than a brain chemistry issue but we'll never know. The "internet sleuths" that ruined a dude's life based on pretty much no evidence are a bunch of jerks.

Movies

A sort of meh redo of From Dusk Til Dawn but with witches instead of vampires and lacking the fun or interesting characters. I was really hoping for something better from the premise. I get what they were going for with the witch designs but they look like leftovers from some other movie.

Rating: 5/10
 
 
This was a pretty good time. More hardcore horror fans might find it bland or too by the book but to me it felt like an offbeat mashup of Scream and Cabin in the Woods. I really like Jacob Batalon in the sidekick/comic relief role. It's perfect for him again here. There was one spot toward the final act when I thought the movie was going off the rails into crazy land but sadly it didn't.

Rating: 7/10


No, it's not about a killer sea cow, that would be a manatee. This one's got Tony Curtis vs. an angry Native American spirit. If you replaced Curtis and the shaman he works with Dr Strange, this would be a much cooler movie! I can promise you that you will not guess how it ends.

Rating: 5/10

Vampire flicks have to be extra good or offer something a little different to get me on board. This absolutely does both of those things. I can't quite put my finger on what it is they did but just about everything here hits the spot for me. The actors/characters are great, the make up and effects are spot on. It's just a great bloody time!

Rating: 8/10



If you've really been waiting for Daniel Radcliffe to break away from Harry Potter, here you go. This is a super fun ride! It's got some crazy action, plenty of bullets, and humor. It's also got some style in the camera work which just makes it that much more of a good time. It's got an awesome soundtrack (not score) which is unfortunately not released. They left it open for a sequel and I really hope they can get to it someday.

Rating: 8/10

Month
New: Rewatch: 0
 
Year to Date
New: 13  Rewatch: 2
Total: 15

2 comments:

  1. Cool - I'll have to check out Guns Akimbo. Seems like it would be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really is! It kinda reminded me of Crank with how crazy it gets.

      Delete