Feb 2, 2014

Monthly Movie Recap - January 2014

Coming to you barely live, it's the first Monthly Movie Review for 2014. I say barely because my wife and I have been sick for over a week now. Seriously, I'm surprised the CDC hasn't shown up and put one of those big house covers up like in E.T.


This fan made trailer does a good job of summarizing the movie. It's a sleazy, exploitation (is that redundant?) roller derby flick. The main character turns out to be not the so innocent girl next door you think she is. At first, you're rooting for her as she tries to make a better life for herself and then she goes all diva and even though she's asking for the treatment she gets, you still want to like her as she loses it. I've read it was supposed to be sort of a mockbuster of Rachel Welch's Kansas City Bombers, another one on my "to see" list.

Cool: There's a reason Claudia Jennings was Playmate of the Year; Lots of roller derby action!
Lame: She's a badass, but not always in a good way
Rating: 5.5/10

Despicable Me (2010)
I finally got around to seeing this one. I was expecting even more mad scientist/bad guy stuff but that's ok. There's a lot more heart to it than I would ever have guessed. It was very cute and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

Cool: The mad science-y stuff and scheming; The kids
Lame: Where the Minions at? I have to presume they get more screen time in the sequel to explain why they've become a pop culture icon.
Rating: 7/10

*Tremors (1990)
It's been at least a good decade since I saw this last but I wanted to revisit it before starting off on my goal of knocking out the rest of the series, which I've never seen. I wish more fun monster movies like this were getting made with practical effects but that probably won't happen any time soon.

Rating: 8/10

Tremors II: Aftershocks (1996)
I didn't even realize this was direct to video until I looked up info after seeing it. It's missing something from the original, maybe it's the chemistry the leads had. But Remo Williams himself is back, so I can't complain much as I really liked him in the previous film. The addition of the Shriekers is fantastic. I have to wonder if they're related to the Acklay and Nexu from Attack of the Clones because they sound very similar.

Rating: 6.5/10

Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (2001)
I thought they'd play out the whole government involvement thing as a main story line, which would probably have gone down the same cliched path you'd expect, but they're wiped out almost as quick as they entered. What they get back in fun from part 2, they kind of lose in CGI creatures. Still, the "Ass Blasters" are another great addition to the Tremors mythology.

Rating: 6.5/10

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004)
This one was just ok for me. Sure it was fun seeing the "origin" of the graboids and Burt's ancestor but it didn't really do much else for me. Except Billy Drago. He is a great Western badass.

Rating: 5.5/10

*The Fly (1957)
Watched the recently released BluRay and it looks great! Even coming up on 57 years old, it's still a great movie of science gone wrong. The end scene still creeps me out.

Rating: 7/10

 Caution: Red Band NSFW trailer
Malibu High (1979)
Ah, 70s drive-in sleaze. Not only does this girl decide to sleep her way to passing grades but she also gets into prostitution and eventually becomes a hit-woman. I'd recommend Unholy Rollers over this one because it's more fun to watch.

Cool: The Big One (People's Court theme) is used during the climactic chase scene.
Lame: Possibly the least sexy sex scenes ever caught on film.
Rating: 4/10

If you read this far, toss me some recommendations of movie series you think I need to see.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you guys are felling better Dex it's no fun to be sick but it looks like you got some movie watching done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of it was done before I got sick. Which is weird because you'd think I'd watch more when I have nothing to but sit on the couch all day.

      Delete
  2. Malibu High - Ugh... had the displeasure of seeing that back in the day. Hope you and your lady are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah, it's not great but it's about typical of the 70s drive in sleaze I've seen so far. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete