Aug 1, 2020

Monthly Media Recap - July 2020

With this whole Corona thing, the unimaginable has happened.
I've actually caught up on all the shows I normally record!


Streaming

Schitt's Creek (Netflix) - Little late to the party on this one but I'm so glad I got around to it! I've been a Eugene Levy fan since SCTV and he really is just getting better with age. The show itself is pretty simple but the characters make it shine. Just waiting for the final season to come to streaming.

Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix) - I didn't watch the original a whole lot but I'm finding out true crime may be a favorite thing for me. There's only a handful of episodes right now but I really hope there will be more. Each episode is devoted to a single mystery. If the first one doesn't hook you, I don't know what will. And how did they manage to make the theme even spookier??

Warrior Nun (Netflix) - Based on the comic Warrior Nun Areala, a teenage girl awakes from death with a religious artifact embedded in her, making her the new chosen one. It's a little supernatural, a little superhero, plus you've got kick ass nuns battling demons! What more could you want? A second season, that's what!

Locke & Key (Netflix) - Yet another comic I haven't read turned series. It has the wonder of an 80s kids adventure movie but with a touch of dark fantasy to it. I guess it's sort of like Stranger Things but modern instead of in the 80s. If you're reading this, you should check it out.

Movies

Candyman: Day of the Dead (1999, Pluto TV)
Picking up from last month’s “Finish the Franchise.” I'm not going to even get into this. It was a terrible way to leave the series. Doesn't seem like they were interested in keeping continuity and Candyman seems to have the hots for his descendant. I mean, she is a former Playboy centerfold and Baywatch babe, but ew. Hopefully the reboot will return him to horror icon status.

Rating: 2/10


A building full of workers is forced to quarantine when a virus that causes you to lose impulse control breaks out. It’s like Office Space but instead of a printer, the disgruntled employees bloodily battle their way up floors to get revenge on the big cheese. Steven Yuen is great here and you’ll be rooting for him if you’ve ever had “one of those days” at work. Plus, it's directed by Joe Lynch!

Rating: 7/10


Take the Ghostbusters, give them better tech and exorcist super powers, toss in a bit of cyberpunk because the demons they’re fighting are using a Pokémon-like phone app to turn people into Evil Dead. The mish-mash-up is a lot to process but I had a lot of fun with it! I think it’s be great as a series and/or a comic. It's from the same Aussie's that did Wyrmwood which I also liked a lot.

Rating: 7/10

I didn't like the look of this from the first trailer and my opinion hasn't changed now that I've seen it. I actually didn't mind the idea of turning Chucky into a home assistant gone rogue but the script needs to go to the returns department. Also, whoever approved his design needs to be fired. Yes, they succeeded in making him look creepy but it's not the good kind of creepy.

Rating: 4/10

Oh. My. God. I LOVE this movie!! Everything about this flick is on point and brimming with style. Not just the music but the sound design and the visuals.*chef kiss* I was hooked on the opening credits sequence alone. I wish Edgar Wright had been allowed to make his version of Ant-Man.

Rating: 9/10


Blade Squad (aka Inline Cops, 1998)
Sorry I could only find a German trailer but it should give you an idea just how 90s EXTREEEEEME this wants to be. It was made in '98 but it feels like something made in the mid-80s that was trying to be futuristic. I don't know how anyone involved could take this seriously: Police on inline skates with rocket boost backpacks. Oh yeah, they operate out of the back of a seriously modified garbage truck. It's not quite "so bad it's good" but it's close! The drama is SO over the top. I blame this one totally on Kevin at Masked Library for making me aware of it.

Rating: 3/10


Max Headroom: 20 Minutes into the Future (1985, YouTube. Watch it above!)
This is the original UK TV special that provides Max's origin story. It was reshot and became the pilot episode for the 1987 ABC TV series so if you're familiar with that, this isn't much different. The show was insanely ahead of its time in the 80s but would fit perfectly in today's cyber scene. If you're only familiar with Max as a talking head, check this out!

Rating: 8/10

Month
New: Rewatch: 2

Year to Date
New: 40  Rewatch: 2

5 comments:

  1. Im still going to check out Childs Play even tho so many have said look away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was the first entry, it wouldn't be as bad. Even though it's a reboot I still consider it part of the series and don't think it was as good as the last couple direct to video ones.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. At the very least, a head in a box figure :D Although I'd be fine with Edison Carter too!

      Delete