Jan 1, 2018

Monthly Movie Recap - December 2017

Another month, another year! Where does the time go?
I'm guessing a few of you might have seen that Star Wars movie that set the internets on fire. What did you think? What else did you catch this month that's chat worthy? Let me know!


Yes, I'm late to the party on this one but better late than never, right? I thought they tipped their hand too much with the trailers and I knew where it was going to go. It went there, put down the pedal, and blew right past my expectations. Excellent performances all around and a razor sharp script make this one not to miss.

Rating: 9/10


Better Watch Out (2016, Shudder)
Take Home Alone, make Kevin a bit older sociopath with a crush on his babysitter and here you go! The movie is pretty fun once it gets going. The lead kid does psycho really well and it's got a couple of inventive kills. The "twist" at the end doesn't seem possible given how things lead up to it but I'll give it a pass.

Fun: In one scene, the two boys play FMK with Adventure Time characters

Rating: 6.5/10


Red Christmas (2016)
One of the few holiday horror movies that goes beyond a typical slasher. There's an actual story to the madness instead of a crazed killer making his way through the cast. Dee Wallace is really great in this. The pacing could use some fine tuning but you can't deny there's some beautiful camera work.

Rating: 6/10


Bright (2017, Netflix)
The trailer would have you think this is a typical Will Smith buddy cop comedy. While there are some funny bits, it's not a straight up comedy but there is a lot of shooting. I've seen a lot of people saying this is the worst movie of year and as someone that willing watches SyFy originals, this is nowhere near that bad. I really enjoyed it! I like what they did with the urban fantasy setting.

Wins the Award for: Best Fight Sequence at a Gas Station

Rating: 6.5/10

Star Wars The Last Jedi (2017)
With every new Star Wars movie, I know I need to see it at least a second time. The first viewing is for taking everything in and experiencing it. The second is for digesting and forming a better opinion. Having said that, I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. What I did love is all the Rey/Kylo, Luke, and Jedi stuff. What I didn't like was the slowest chase the galaxy has ever seen. It's still boggling my brain two weeks later.

Something Fishy: I'm not against strong female characters at all but I really think Holdo's role should have gone to Ackbar. He deserved better than what he got in this installment.
Needs Less: Earth-isms (your mom jokes, the phrase "big ass") and face cameos (Sorry Gareth, you pulled me out of the film).

Rating: 7/10, still need at least a second viewing

Month Total
 New: 5  Rewatch: 0

Year Total
 New: 61  Rewatch:7

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I was late to the "Get Out" party as well. I saw it about a month ago. I was exactly where you were with it, thinking I knew where it was going to go. And then as you said, they really put down the pedal and zooooooom! The last 10 minutes or so of that movie had me saying "What!? Oh no!" a number of times. :) It was the kind of movie that had me on edge, yet there were a few funny moments snuck in here and there. I heard Jordan Peele say that he was inspired by "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Stepford Wives" when making"Get Out", and I could definitely see that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, absolutely. I was reading about the movie after seeing it and Peele said he had an idea for a sequel which should be interesting!

      Delete