Aug 29, 2017

It's Halloween...I Guess?

For years now I've been grousing about how Christmas seems to be taking over store shelves earlier and earlier, even before Halloween has passed. Now, my social feeds are filling up with pics of Halloween merch in late August and I've been resistant to the idea.

Even Petco is getting in on the action
 To me, part of what makes each holiday special is that it's relegated to a specific time of the year. Growing up in Massachusetts I always associated Halloween with fall and the end of September. Christmas wasn't something you saw in stores until the day after Thanksgiving!

It's obvious why I don't want to see Christmas in stores before the end of October, but why don't I want to see Halloween in August? Some people will tell you too much is never enough and I sort of subscribe to that but only during the right time.

Hunting for Halloween stuff is part of my holiday fun, part of what makes the Halloween season. If the entire month of September is full of Halloween, what's to look forward to in October? You're left with big box stores that could be sold out that one cool thing you wanted or places like Home Goods where there will barely be a hint of Halloween by October 1st.

And, maybe worst of all, by October you've not only seen everything but it almost becomes passé because you've been seeing it for more than a month. There's no point in browsing the merch because you already know what you're going to find.


As Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer, I'm calling the last Saturday in August the unofficial start of Halloween because that is when Yankee Candle releases their annual Halloween offerings. The start of the pre-game if you will.

As much as I'm, not in favor of the idea of things kicking off in late August, I have to admit there was a certain joy in spotting this Coke display.


That spider is pretty inspired!


Only 62 days til Halloween but if you're really needing to scratch that itch, you have to visit Dinosaur Dracula who has already started his Countdown to Halloween. While you're there, be sure to subscribe to the Purple Stuff Podcast.

I imagine generations down the road, there will just be one long holiday season from the end of August until January where kids that don't Trick or Treat won't get any gifts from Santa at midnight on December 31st.

15 comments:

  1. I love Halloween, but I'm not a fan of seeing it this time of year either. But I have to admit, I did just buy a couple Halloween props at Big Lots because I've found that if you wait until October or even late September, the Halloween stock is gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point. We're sort of forced into it because it will be gone by October.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and my wife did pick up some Count Chocula. Full disclosure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some in the same store as that Coke display, I managed to hold out...for now.

      Delete
  3. Already started decorating at home, got some stuff at a thrift store but ironically I went to one of our 2 Wal-Marts today and no monster cereals or Halloween stuff - yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another thing with it coming out early...it seems to hit some places and miss others. But it's great for building anticipation!

      Delete
  4. If you're interested, the Retro Revival Blog Challenge is alive again, and you can check it out here http://bit.ly/2wGrjI9

    Always liked your submissions to the Pop Culture League

    ReplyDelete
  5. Work is putting out the Halloween this week amazed at how much we sold already. And that is why stores do it early need to jump on the dollar before another store gets that cash. But I admit I love seeing it out just not ready to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same problem with Christmas. The stores all have to compete with each other so it's only going to get earlier every year :\

      Delete
  6. Hehe! I'm one of the "too much is never enough" people. :) With Halloween, anyway. Christmas can wait until December 1st, thank you. Part of the difference is that I love fall weather, while I'm no hurry to think about snow. We have a local radio station that starts playing Christmas music the day after Halloween! So that's an obvious no. But I'm excited to see Halloween merchandise any time of year. I will say that in October, when there's a chill in the air, I'm extra excited to see it.

    You know what's funny? I checked out your blog tonight because I got your Flickr photos in my email. I saw that spider soda display and thought "Is that the spider he was talking about?" ;) I love when stores put out the holiday can or bottle displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel bad for people that live in places that don't get a real Fall season. That is so much of the Halloween experience for me.

      Mrs Dex is about Christmas as much as I'm about Halloween. I wouldn't mind two months of Christmas music if there were more than like 10 songs. It's not even the fact that people cover them but I always hear the same versions.

      That...is not quite the spider I was talking about. But that's pretty funny!

      Delete
  7. That Coke spider is seriously awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do some neat displays at this store for every season but I've never seen one like that.

      Delete
  8. That spider display is AMAZE-BALLS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty rad. Got me thinking about stockpiling empty cases for next year. Of course they probably wouldn't last long outside.

      Delete