Aug 21, 2016

The League is Back in Season

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes of the League of Extraordinary Bloggers, the Pop Culture League is born anew!


Masterminded by Brian over at Cool and Collected, the original LoEB was a fun way for bloggers to join together with their take on a weekly topic or challenge and it's a good way to meet folks outside your current circles. It's back and slightly tweaked for the hip kids to join in with their Instapics, Facebooks, or Slapchat. If you want to join in, you can get all the details here. There's no commitment, just join in when you want.

If you're reading this, you probably already know the League is back because someone else has posted about it. I don't have a lot of time to write during the week so I'm usually going to be the last one to the party every week. But I'm here!

The topic for the return of the League is Shelfie.

With the end of August looming, I thought I'd start getting into the Halloween spirit! I know stores have had candy displays out for weeks and the Spirit store at the mall has opened so it's time to get things started!


There's plenty of books on this shelf to keep you busy during the spooky season. Starting on the left are quite a few (if not all) of artist Gris Grimly's books. I highly recommend his Wicked Nursery Rhymes series. 

All sorts of "reference" material for encountering the supernatural. The only thing I'm really missing is Tobin's Spirit Guide and now I can finally get one!

The right side of the shelf is mostly fiction with the odd "idea" book. This is also where most of my Halloween-ish Playmobil characters live. Now that I think about it, this is not most of them. Most of them are packed in with the Halloween decorations but those are trick or treater types dressing up, not actual creeps!

Off to the far, far right (out of frame) is the Halloween Tarot and the I Luv Halloween omnibus. The book is a collection of the three I Luv Halloween manga in glorious color. If you've got a warped sense of humor and a love of Halloween,you have to read this. It's got an 80s kid adventure vibe to it, only it's definitely R-rated! I re-read it every year.

The Egyptian princess is there because of the mummy on the left and because of the Egyptian dagger. If you've got books on how to fight monsters, you need something to fight them with, right? Plus, I think it just looks cool, like it could be magical.


Well, that wraps up the first Pop Culture League post! Curious what other League members are posting? Head on over to the Shelfie post at Cool and Collected.

Here's a few to get started

GI Jigsaw has an amazing vintage Star Wars display
Relatively new blog Scotch and Spacemen has got lots of 80s toys
The Harvey Mercheum is packed with merch based on Harvey Comics

6 comments:

  1. That's whats cool about the league,you've just turned me on to a new site!And while I'm no Halloween buff,I love the spirit of It and the season.Nothing like the sound of leaves crunching under your feet.Love the shelf,too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!
      I don't know why but I have this memory burned into my brain of a childhood Halloween in my Batman costume and shuffling my feet through a couple inches of leaves.

      Delete
  2. It's never too early for Halloween! What is that mummy on the left? It looks like he's staring at something -- magic 8-ball?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hematite ring. The mummy is actually a little keepsake box. You pull on his legs to open the drawer and as you do, it causes his head and arms to lift up like he's trying to scare you away.

      Delete
  3. Very cool collection! I think I have the same little ghost!

    I am joining you in this #shelfie at http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/2016/08/pop-culture-league-challenge-shelfie.html

    ReplyDelete