Jul 20, 2011

Retro Star Wars Wednesday - Action Figures

These little guys were a huge part of my childhood. Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, R5-D4, Death Star Droid and Power Droid were some of my favorite ones from the original lineup. I used to bring Hammerhead with me pretty frequently. Maybe it was the soothing aqua jumpsuit, I don't know.
It wouldn't be until the 90s when these aliens got proper names and back stories courtesy of West End Games' Star Wars Role Playing Game and the anthology Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Mail Order form from Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine

You can view a larger image of each figure by clicking on them below.

2 comments:

  1. I've always loved this ad but this is the first time I've seen it in color. Nice find!
    I've been tempted to write about the ad in the past because I feel sorry for the copywriter who had to fill the space with enticing descriptions yet nothing was known about these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing everything we do now, some of the copy from the vintage ads is pretty funny.
    I combed through all the issues of FM I could find 1977-1984 for Star Wars related content. I did see this ad more than a few times but this was the only color print.

    ReplyDelete