Apr 1, 2022

Monthly Media Recap - March 2022

If you like what you see, be sure to hit that subscribe button, smash Like and leave a comment. I didn't really have anything for this opening, just wondering if anyone actually reads it!


Series
 
Disenchantment (S4, Netflix)
I've done nothing but rave about this series since it started and will continue to do so until the quality drops or it ends. I'm guessing it will end first. Even if you're not into fantasy but enjoy humor and good characters, give it a try.

Two Sentence Horror Stories (S1, Netflix or CW app)
Before it was a show, I'm pretty sure this started off as some kind of social media thing where people would come up with very short creepy stories. I wasn't expecting much from a horror anthology on the CW but it's actually pretty decent. The episodes are short so it's good when you want a quick horror fix. Each episode is bookended by the first and second sentence which kind of lets you try to guess what will happen. 

Streaming



So glad I decided to watch this! It's a fantastic spoof of gothic horror, in particular the Corman/Price/Poe movies. There's even a guy doing his best Vincent Price. We all know Elvira is funny but her comedic timing in this is perfection.

Rating: 8/10

Ryan Reynolds is an NPC in a GTA style online game that evolves a consciousness. This was a ton of fun and not just because I recognize a lot of the CGI-enhanced Boston locations. Anytime someone is walking the streets there's other subtle jokes going on behind them. If you enjoy video games, this should be on your list! It might just make you think twice the next time you assault a random NPC...but probably not.

Rating: 8/10



This was...okay for me. I'm always down for any horror movie with a carnival or set around Halloween and this has both. I like the idea of the story but I felt they were trying really hard to create the next horror icon. They get points for the origin and look of him but they have to up their kill/gore game if he's to ascend to the pantheon.

Rating: 5/10

The Seed (2022, Shudder)
Whatever you do, do not watch a trailer for this if you plan on seeing it! All you need to know is that three young women go to a remote cabin to watch a meteor shower and have an unexpected visitor. You can make some guesses based on the title but I'm betting it'll still surprise you.

Rating: 7/10



Tubi may have some legit good movies but it is a gold mine for schlock! Sybil Danning, Jeffrey Combs, aliens, dinosaurs, cavewomen and an off-brand Robbie the Robot! If any two of those (or the trailer) don't sell this for you, you probably don't like fun. I'm not sure how much, if any, of the humor was intentional but you'll certainly be laughing in places.

Rating: 5/10, not a great movie but a good time



And then, there's garbage like this that you find when going down the Tubi rabbit hole where you keep picking something from the suggested viewing list. Clearly a cash grab in the wake of Star Wars. Believe it or not, it's worse than the trailer makes it look. One of the heroes is overly acrobatic, sometimes flipping into a scene for no good reason. The only fun to be had is in ruthlessly mocking it.

Rating: 2/10

I really enjoyed the last one but was a little let down with this one. There's definitely plenty of variety to the brutal kills but the whole vengeful mob/"evil dies tonight" thing felt a bit stupid to me. Maybe it was some kind of comment on mob mentality of the time but something about it just felt out of place. Could also be that you don't see an old fashioned pitchfork mob in horror movies anymore. I'm really hoping the third one will finish strong and improve how I view this one.

Rating: 6/10

Monthly Total
New: 7

Year to Date
New: 22   Rewatch: 0

3 comments:

  1. I gotta watch Phantom Empire. May cheat and watch the trailer to The Seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched The Seed trailer. Now I gotta see it.

    ReplyDelete