Jan 23, 2017

Mail Order Monday - Criminal Investigation (1951)

Hey, kids! Ever want to learn how to become a CSI?


You have everything to gain...nothing to lose! Here's your chance to learn at OUR expense whether you have "what it takes" to become a criminal investigator or finger print expert.

With NO OBLIGATION on your part - mail the coupon below requesting our qualification questionnaire. It will be sent by return mail. If, in our opinion, your answer to our simple questions indicate that you have the basic qualifications necessary to succeed in scientific crime detection, we will tell you promptly. The you will also receive absolutely free the fascinating "Blue Book of Crime" - a volume showing how modern detectives actually track down real criminals.

And you'll also get information on their home learning course because if there's one career you should be able to train for at home with no real life experience, it's crime scene detective.

 Here is my guess at the questionairre...

1: Are you over 18?

2: Do you have money?

I know comic books are for all ages but this seems like an odd thing to advertise. Maybe they're hoping an older sibling or parent sees the ad?

I did manage to find a few copies of the Blue Book of Crime by T.G. Cooke floating around on Amazon pretty cheap. It might be fun to pick up a copy and see what it was like to be a crime scene investigator back in the 50s.


2 comments:

  1. Ha! I agree about the questions on that questionnaire. I wonder if the over 18 part was even a requirement. Sounds like you could get a little bit free anyway. I'd love to take a look at that book too! I'm thinking it would read like an old pulp novel? Whatever is in that little blue book, I'm sure it's less intense than what we'd read/see today about crime detection.

    Have you seen "A Christmas Story"? I'm thinking of that part where Ralphie orders the Little Orphan Annie Secret Society decoder pin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only guessing on the age because I would think that you'd have to be at least 18 to enroll in a home training program to actually get a job.

      Having looked into a lot of these mail order ads, I can tell you a lot of kids would have that Christmas Story moment when they got their items!

      Delete