Feb 1, 2016

Monthly Movie Recap - January 2015

Hey folks, we're keeping the Monthly Movie Recap going in 2016. If you saw anything you think is worth seeing, let me know in the comments. This will probably be the only post this week because I write on the weekends and just got LEGO: Avengers so that's where 
my time is going!

As always, clicking on a movie link will take you to Amazon where you can order it (or anything else) and drop a few coins in the coffers.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
A little late to the party on this one but damn what a ride! What it might lack in deep characters or intriguing plot it more than makes up for in hi-octane action and a beautifully shot, post apocalyptic setting. I'd love a sequel but where do you go from here?

Cool: Pretty much non-stop action; the post apocalyptic world I wanted in the originals.
Lame: The Raimi-esque camera speed up during fight scenes
Rating: 8/10


Branded (2012, Netflix)
Recently for some reason I was trying to recall the movie I saw the trailer for that looked like a They Live rehash. Then I found this on Netflix and started watching it. I didn't think I had the right movie for quite some time. The beginning is completely different from what I was expecting!

Cool: There's some great social commentary in here about advertising
Lame: The creatures look too cartoony to take them seriously
Rating: 6/10


Regular Show: The Movie (2015)
I wasn't sure if they'd be able to pull off making a normally 15 minute show into a full length movie, but they do with the same amount of crazy and feels that will hit you "right there". If you haven't seen the show, this isn't the best place to start but if you're a fan, this is a must see!

Rating: 8/10

Minions (2015)
I've been warming up to the Minions with each successive movie and a starring vehicle is exactly what they need at this point. Even though they mostly speak gibberish, they can definitely carry a movie on their own.

Cool: Minions through the ages. The super-villain convention. The end tying it to the previous movies.
Lame: Something about he antagonist, Scarlet Overkill, I just didn't really like.

Rating: 8/10

Creature Feature: 60 Years of the Gill-Man (2015)
I stumbled on this by someone posting about it on Facebook. It's only available from TCM online. This doc looks at how the Creature came to be with short bits on every movie. A good part of it is dedicated to conventions, the fans, and a couple of Creature super collectors.

Cool: You get to see a ton of Creature collectibles. The extras include an episode of the Abbott & Costello show where the first introduce the Creature.
Lame: I ponied up for the BluRay but the source doesn't look HD.

Rating: 8/10, a must for monster fans!


Machete Kills (2013)
I love these grindhouse movies because they know exactly what they are and don't try to be anything more than crazy, over the top fun. For the first 2/3 of the movie, Machete goes Bond and by the end it's full-on sci-fi!

Cool: I like the movie but the final third where it starts to go sci-fi is awesome! The trailer for Machete Kills Again...In Space has me really wanting that movie made!
Lame: I know the FX are done cheaply on purpose but sometimes it's not helping the movie some times.

Rating: 7/10


LEGO DC Super Heroes: Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom! (2015)
And the award for longest title goes to...
Another fun LEGO super hero outing! Definitely better than the Bizarro League. I think parents and kids will both enjoy it, especially if the parents are fans of the Super Friends.

Cool: Black Manta! And the Legion of Doom, even the HQ! Great voice cast including Mark Hamill voicing The Trickster and Tony Todd as Darkseid.
Lame: Ok, I know Aquaman gets the short end of the super stick but why put Black Manta in here without him?

Rating: 7/10

*Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015)
Third viewing! If you've only seen it once and you're not sure how you feel about it, see it again. It's easier to digest when you've already taken it all in already.

Month Total
 New: 7  Rewatch:1

Year Total
 New: 7  Rewatch: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment