Jun 16, 2021

Square Enix's Guardians of the Galaxy Game

 Square Enix recently announced an upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy game slated for late October. I'm excited about it but at the same time a little hesitant.

As someone that loves the Guardians, why would I be anything but over the moon about their second video game? Part of it is these weird 90s X-treme character designs. I get that you want to give the game characters a unique look, make them your own, but I'm not loving most of these. 

Gamora and Rocket are the most "normal" looking out of the group. Full size Groot doesn't need to wear anything (you can't see it hidden behind the space llama but check the footage), Drax just looks weird with his tats all bunched up, and speaking of bunched up...what's up with Quill's jacket? It looks like he's perma-shrugging. Although, I do love the rock n roll look of it with pins and patches everywhere.

Have a look at the reveal trailer.

The other part is in articles I've read, they are comparing this to the recent Avengers game. I only played the demo of that for about an hour and I felt it was pretty bland. On the other hand, it also looks like they've mixed in the story choices from the Telltale Games series which is absolutely good news. Even though that style is more of an interactive movie, your choices matter and can effect your relationships.

Here's a little more behind the scenes.


I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little let down that you'll be playing strictly as Star-Lord in the adventure. I'd definitely prefer having a little change up between levels. But maybe that will make for a stronger story telling experience. The way you can command the crew during a fight looks interesting.

Check out this game play video and see what you think.


At the end of the day, this is one of my all time favorite Marvel teams and not even these weird costume designs are going to keep me away from the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment