Aug 1, 2019

Monthly Movie Recap - July 2019

Can you believe August already? It's just about Halloween season! I've seen photos of some stores putting stuff out in July and that's a shame. I blame it on Christmas getting put out in October. Remember when Christmas stuff wasn't seen until after Thanksgiving?

Okay, maybe I'm just old.

Trying out something a little different for the Movie Recap header graphic. What do you think? Is this better than just the MMR logo?



Streaming

Stranger Things: I've seen a lot of comments about the show saying it's all 80s references and no substance. To these people I say, watch the damn show. I am probably more invested in these characters than any other show I'm watching. I feel for these kids that they're having to grow up. This was probably my favorite season so far.

Big Screen

Like the first one, it's cute with a few laughs here and there. What I liked better about this one was the split story lines. Kevin Hart's Snowball pretty much owns the movie. Plus, Harrison Ford doing voice over work...who would have thought?

Rating: 6/10


Everyone knows the big names in horror hosts: Vampira, Zacherley, Svengoolie. This documentary looks at them plus a bunch of lesser known hosts through clips and interviews. Sadly, Elvira isn't here and Svengoolie should have more of a presence. If you've got Prime, it's not bad for free.

Loved this! It not only delivered everything I want from a Spider-Man movie, but what they did with Mysterio was amazing. I wasn't sure they would  do him justice and they exceeded expectation. Even as a Marvel fan, I'm not exactly sure what that end credits scene is setting us up for but I'm sure it'll make sense eventually.

Rating: 8/10


This one was pretty middle of the road for me. What they did well with telling the story was balanced out by run of the mill spooky stuff. The twist at the end felt more like a cheat than a surprise. Maybe I'm just picky about my twist endings.

Rating: 5/10

Midsommar (2019)
After Hereditary, Ari Aster has a lot to live up to with a second film. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I feel about this one. It's a gorgeous movie and the camera work is on point. At times, I felt the almost 2.5 hour length was dragging. It becomes a bit comical for me when some of the characters start to go missing because we know more than the characters. The "animal thing" at the end took some of the punch out of the finale for me. It was just so weird that it was more funny than anything. Having said all that, I highly recommend seeing it in a theater, or at home with a group. Experiencing it with audience reaction is a must. Also, Florence Pugh (Dani) deserves an award for this.

Rating: 7/10


The trailer sold me on this horror comedy but it didn't quite deliver for me. If I'm having a good time, I can let things like actors that clearly aren't teenagers and cheap gore effects slide. But when you have non-threatening monsters that are clearly people in costumes and editing bad enough for me to call it out, there's a problem. It might be a bit of fun for MST3k style roasting.

Rating: 4/10

Month
New: 6   Rewatch: 0

Year to Date
New: 46  Rewatch: 2

4 comments:

  1. Historically, I found American Scary fascinating. Underground, cult, for kids and adults. There was so much. Plus it opens up with a local channel and I may have swore out loud because I never knew about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly the "little guy" deserves time in the spotlight but I was a little sad they didn't get some of the bigger names considering they had other celebrities interviewed.

      Delete
  2. That's disappointing that Book of Monsters was a below average flick. The trailer does really make it look like it would have been good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate the amateur effort and it's definitely better than some of the low rent junk on Amazon Prime that I usually turn off after the first minute.

      Delete