Apr 2, 2018

Monthly Movie Recap - March 2018


I can't believe we are just a few weeks away from Avengers: Infinity War and kicking off what looks to be a great summer for movies. What are you looking forward to?
Let me know in the comments.


*Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001, Netflix)
As video game movies go this is pretty good, but that's not a high bar to leap. It's a decent enough action movie but it feels so much a product of its time from the soundtrack to the Matrix-y stunt fighting. I have to say though, Jolie pretty much is Lara Croft.

Play Again? I rewatched this because I hadn't seen it since it came out and was thinking about finally seeing the sequel. Watching the trailer for Cradle of Life totally changed my mind.

Rating: 6/10



Veronica (2017, Netflix)
I'm really starting to get an appreciation for foreign horror flicks, even ones you have to read. Mainly because they don't reuse the same tropes you encounter in US horror every day which makes for a very fun ride as you can't really predict where things will go. I was expecting just another Ouija movie but this one surpasses the standard giving great character moments with the lead.

Over Hyped? I've seen some rumors that it's so scary people can't finish watching it. I really like the movie but I don't think it's that scary but it's probably on the level of "turn on all the lights on your way through the house" after watching it.

Rating: 8/10


Happy Death Day (2017, Redbox)
I had a lot of fun with this one. I've seen it described as Scream meets Groundhog Day and that's a pretty good way to sum it up. The theory of who the killer is starts to get odd as it plays out and the final showdown goes a little over the top but this is a horror movie stuck in a time loop so I think it's allowed to get a bit crazy.

One More Time! There's talk of a possible sequel that could explore why the time loop happened. I'd be interested to see how they could blend the horror and sci-fi together.

Rating: 8/10


Creep (2015, Netflix)
Definitely an odd ball horror flick. I knew nothing about it going in and I think that's the best way to experience it. It doesn't really get rolling until the final 30 minutes but once it gets going, it's full speed ahead!

Rating: 7/10


Creep 2 (2017, Netflix)
Seeing this one actually improved how I felt about the first one and gave me more of an appreciation for the main actor's (Mark Duplass) performance in both. Because both are essentially two person plays, his crazy has to be on point to draw you in to what's going on and make you worry for the camera operator.

Rating: 7.5/10

Ready Player One (2018, IMAX 3D)
If you loved the book and are expecting them to cram exactly all that into a two hour movie, you're going to be disappointed. But if you don't mind them changing just about everything and keeping the spirit of the story, you'll be okay. If you haven't read the book but like video games and 80s pop culture, go see it then read the book. Either way, see it on the biggest screen possible!

Pop Goes the Culture: I can only hope we'll get a Pop-Up Video style DVD commentary that will point out everything. As much as I did notice, I know there were things I missed.

Rating: 8/10
Month Total
New: 5  Rewatch: 1

Year Total
New: 15   Rewatch: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment