Sep 30, 2017

Monthly Movie Recap - September 2017

Posting a day early as tomorrow starts the Countdown to Halloween! As you may have noticed, the Halloween decorations are also up! Be sure to come back tomorrow for the start of the "October Awfulness" contest.

What have you seen good this month? What are you planning on watching in October? Drop me some comments and let me know.


The Conjuring 2 (2016, HBO Go)
Sure, it's a little Exorcist-y but I still really enjoyed it. Seeing this got me to start digging into the Warrens and the story the movie is based on which...isn't really as interesting. Although I'm hoping one of the future movies will be about their werewolf case.

Cool: A couple of good creep-outs. The little girl turns in a fantastic performance.
Lame: One too many spooks. As much as I dug Crooked Man it feels like he's only here so they can do a spin-off...which I am waiting for!

Rating: 7/10


Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
For 1981, it's not a bad slasher flick. It's a little slow in places and the story can get confusing as to why certain things were included that don't really pay off. I like the mystery of who the killer could be.

Cool: A couple of fun kills even if there's not a lot of gore. Love the party at the end!
Lame: The twist ending is out of nowhere. Not even Sherlock Holmes could see this one coming!

Rating: 5/10


Aaah! Zombies! (aka Wasting Away, 2007, Amazon)
I know...another zombie comedy? What this one lacks in budget, it makes up for in fun and a different take on the genre. It's definitely more of a comedy with zombies than a horror comedy but it's worth checking out if you're looking for something a little different.

Cool: Seeing things from the zombies' perspective
Lame: May not be for you if you want something less funny

Rating: 5/10

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (2016, HBO Go) 
It's pretty typical of what you'd expect after seeing the trailer. If anything I was expecting it to be raunchier but I think they did the right thing by saving it for maximum effect in a couple places.

Cool: Finally breaks my streak of "if Anna Kendrick sings in it and it's not Pitch Perfect, I won't like it" movies.
Lame: While it was funny, it was more chuckle here and there than laugh out loud.

Rating: 6/10

Month Total
 New: 4  Rewatch: 0

Year Total
 New: 43  Rewatch: 4

2 comments:

  1. I really like Ahhh! Zombie for its different look into a Zombie movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely something new with the way they perceived everything.

      Delete