Aug 1, 2017

Monthly Movie Recap - July 2017

Last month I discovered a new streaming service thanks to my Tivo. It's called TubiTV (yes, there's an app for that!). They have free to watch movies and TV shows with ads. I think in this day and age, we forget there was a time when we had to sit through commercials to watch TV. Or maybe I'm just old!


Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Definite fun for all ages! While the kids will enjoy the animated antics, the grown-ups will enjoy the 80s soundtrack. Trey Parker is great as the former child star turned villain, Balthazar Bratt.

Cool: More Minion craziness
Lame: Why would you use a Madonna song for the final dance fight?

Rating: 7/10


XX (2017, Netflix)
A horror anthology with all four segments directed by women. Like any anthology, there's not much time to develop characters and you're sometimes left with more questions but overall I really enjoyed it. None of the shorts are like another subject-wise and most have an almost artsy style to them which is an interesting change in horror.

Cool: The first short, The Box, is amazing
Lame: The final story has very brief animal violence

Rating: 7/10


Arachnicide (2016, Amazon Prime and TubiTV)
Imagine the worst SyFy movie you've ever seen and somehow make it even more terrible. The movie's called Arachnicide but you have to sit through 50 minutes of military BS before you even see a spider! Once they do start fighting, there is about a 5 minute (feels longer) badly lit scene of soldiers shooting giant spiders.

Cool: The only possible redeeming thing about this would be some MST3K style fun if you start watching at the 51 minute mark
Lame: Horrible English dubbing, reusing same shots during a fight, awful day-for-night scenes

Rating: 2/10

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
If John Hughes made a teen superhero movie, it would probably be very similar to Homecoming. I can't say if it's my favorite, I'd have to go back and watch the first two McGuire movies, but I will say it's the most fun version of Spider-Man we've gotten.

Cool: I wasn't sure how I felt about the Stark tech suit but I love it and it totally makes sense in the MCU
Lame: I got nothin!

Rating: 8/10

Trolls (2016, Netflix) 
Further proof that if it's got Anna Kendrick singing and it's not Pitch Perfect, I"m probably going to be bored. Take the Smurfs, add music, replace Gargamel with a race of creatures that want to eat Trolls and you've just about got it. Yeah, there's some life lesson stuff along the way about being who you are and all that but it just wasn't for me. Kids will likely enjoy it though.

Cool/Lame: I was more interested in some of the supporting characters than the main characters

Rating: 4/10

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets (2017, RealD 3D)
Since seeing the first trailer, I wanted to love this movie. I wanted to be able to put it with Star Wars and Guardians as a place to get lost in. On some level, it does that for me. I want to go there, I just want to hang out with anyone other than the main characters. I'll be checking out the comics this is based on because right now, the first issue is free on Kindle.

Cool: Visually, the movie is gorgeous. Lots of cool sci-fi stuff. I want to explore this universe.
Lame: The main characters aren't that interesting to me. Not only do they have little chemistry but I think they look like they could be related which makes the will they/won't they even more awkward.

Rating: 6/10 (8 for the world, 5 for the main characters/plot)


The Void (2016, Netflix, Amazon Prime)
I'd been seeing lots of people rave about this one so I checked it out not knowing anything about it other than some people hole up in a hospital and fight off cultists. It's a great 80s weird horror throwback that wouldn't feel out of place on VHS. If you like Lovecraft, Barker, and/or Carpenter, check this out!

Cool: Plenty of gooey bits. Love the weirdness of it all.
Lame: Some aren't a fan of how strange the ending gets but I think it just makes it better

Rating: 7.5/10,  a great non-Lovecraft Lovecraft flick

What have you seen recently that's worth checking out?

Month Total
 New: 7  Rewatch: 0

Year Total
 New: 36  Rewatch:3

2 comments:

  1. Been wanting to take the kids to see DM3. The Void & XX are in my Netflix queue. Saving those for my Halloween movie binge in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are sites that list what is leaving Netflix when it gets to the start of a new month. Keep an eye out to make sure they don't leave before October...although it's not that far off!

      Delete