Oct 13, 2016

Halloween Web - MarthaMonster

Today's blogger interview was conducted via Ouija board in a graveyard at midnight at the interviewee's request. Join me in giving a cold, dead welcome to MarthaMonster.


Tell us about your life, O Spirit...

Local people will know me from my years of playing trumpet professionally or teaching music but online is different. Online, I'm a monster. I get to be myself. MonsterMartha. Lover of horror movies and all things macabre. MonsterMartha.com is just an extension of who I really am truly. I am hoping to expand it some perhaps. I have SO many ideas... but never enough time.

What was Halloween like for you as a child?

I fell in love with HORROR/HALLOWEEN from my great-grandmother Erwina Courtney. She loved old horror like Bela Lugosi, Karloff, Lorre, Price... so I grew up loving those things. Instead of tales of Princesses and such I got my granny telling me tales of DRACULA, THE WOLFMAN, and other scary things. I soon explored the knowledge... Halloween was just a small part of it but it became my favorite holiday since I was 3. I grew up in Selma, Alabama which is a town in the middle of the state and is known for the Civil Rights Movement. 

I lived far out of town and not much went on Halloween wise so my Mom would let me go to my great Aunt's house inside city limits in a huge neighborhood. The first time I went trick or treating I was SATAN. I kid you not. Mom bought me a devil outfit (these were the early 80's mind you) made of all plastic (mask and the little pull over bib-like plastic dress). Most of the old people in that neighborhood wouldn't allow trick or treaters though and some tried to poison kids. It wasn't always happy tales back then. You had to know what houses to go to and which to avoid.


Do you have a special Halloween memory you'd like to share?

I was 6 and this guy had a yard full of fog, tombstones, sounds of the damned... it was the BEST house on the block... or probably in Selma for that matter. Dressed as a decaying grim reaper, He sat very still in a rocking chair on the lawn until you went to pass him by.... BOO! I wasn't scared but all the others were. I actually took a picture in his lap. Wish I still had it.

Any particularly favorite costumes you've worn?

I've gone as a vampire, living dead girl, a punk rocker, so many things... but I never EVER went as anything cute or "pretty". (You can see pics of some of these on her blog.)

What do you do to celebrate Halloween today?

Every year I do a horror countdown on my blog, I watch loads of horror. Sadly where I live no one does any trick or treating they all go to a church and do it out of the trunks of cars. Sad that Halloween has come to this.

I always listen to A Night in a Haunted House/a Night in a Graveyard on CD. It's my favorite. I always try to get in a whole month of Horror Movies. I also buy skulls around this time of year cause they are in stores.


Why do you think we keep Halloween close to us as we get older?

Those of us who keep it are those of us who know that it's unique. It's a chance to be a little dark, strange... to have fun with yourself. Be who you want to be. You can be as young or as old as you want with Halloween... it's all about being YOU. I think it lives in the hearts of all of us who are the ones creative, unique... and maybe a little weird.

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was candy apples
My favorite thing to get was chocolate like Snickers, KitKat, Reese's PB Cups

How can mortal commune with you further?

Hey all, look me up on Instagram, facebook, twitter ... all under the name MonsterMartha ... I also play games on xbox one under MarthaRules and WiiU as MonsterMartha. Feel free to come say hi at monstermartha.com or any of those sites. Unpleasant dreams all. XOXOXO

Thanks for joining us today, MonsterMartha!

And don't forget to visit the other Countdown to Halloween bloggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment