Oct 20, 2016

Halloween Web - Margie C

In the tens of Halloween Web interviews I've done, Margie is only the 3rd person that I've actually met in the real world! She and her husband were my first intro to podcasts and I've been listening to them ever since.


Tell the folks a little about yourself.

I had one parent who love horror/sci-fi/comedy movies, etc and one who was sure that all of that would destroy the earth. Despite that, I grew up loving movies, tv and toys. I married my best friend (Mr. Nesbit from health class was right!) and we took our love for Star Wars, Marvel and movies and created some podcasts - Star Wars Action News, Marvelicious Toys and Now Playing (all of which I highly recommend!). I have a book coming out late this year - Underrated Movies We Recommend, with my Now Playing co-hosts.

My favorite horror movie is Halloween, and I love the Rob Zombie remake. I also love House of 1000 Corpses and Profundo Russo.

I live in Illinois (no where near Haddonfield or Crystal Lake) with my husband and 3 dogs.

What was Halloween like for you as a kid?

I don’t remember this at all but apparently when I was a toddler, I demanded to be a mean plant. I also remember being a robot. My dad made me a crazy awesome costume out of boxes, silver paint and duct tape. It wasn’t really articulated so my dad had to pick me up and carry me up and down stairs because I couldn’t really move my legs well enough.

We always trick or treated. I don’t recall a lot of decorating other than pumpkins. But in my neighborhood, all of us kids did go door to door. We usually had a 3 block radius that we hit. We were always terrified because Michael Myers was allegedly from Illinois. And there is a Crystal Lake in Illinois so Jason was always a threat.

And I have a distinct memory of playing jump rope with the grand daughter of a neighbor. She was a few years older than me. She taught me the Freddy song. One, two, Freddy’s coming for you. We sang that and jumped rope to that a lot. I didn’t really know about Freddy at that time. My monsters were Jason and Michael Myers. My mom always let me watch those and she likely shouldn’t have.


Do you have a particularly fond/funny/scary Halloween memory?

One year, a much older neighbor wore a mask during the day. He kept jumping out of the bushes and scaring us. The girls across the street were terrified. They didn’t just scream, they squealed. I kept telling them it was our neighbor and they didn’t believe me.

This is kind of Halloween related in that it’s horror. My mom was an avid horror movie fan, even though she was often terrified of the movies. That’s likely why I was allowed to watch them with her, because she had company. Every single time she watched the first Jason movie, she shrieked when he busted through the glass.  Every. Single. Time. When my  mom was pregnant with me, enough weird things happened that she was convinced I was the anti-christ or a demon because she had seen Rosemary’s Baby too many times. She said she was very worried and often wondered what she would do with a demon baby. She said she would have loved me the same. 

Any favorite costumes from Halloweens past?

I do remember my robot costume. And I remember in grade school, I wanted to be Cyndi Lauper. My mom wouldn’t let me. I could be anything but Cyndi Lauper. Apparently, my mom thought it would make me a girl with loose morals.

What do you do to celebrate Halloween these days? 

Sometimes we will go to a haunted house. But usually i buy a big bag of candy (with Almond Joy, my fave!) and hand out candy to kids. I like to see the kids in the costumes. I dress up my dogs and they hate it. On October 1, my ringtone changes to the Halloween theme song. Michael Myers is my favorite.


Why do you think we keep Halloween in our hearts as we get older? 

The nostalgia and the fun. It’s utterly ridiculous that kids I don’t know will come to my door and ask for candy. In a costume no less. It’s a weird community event.

Inside the Spookster's Studio

The worst thing to get while trick or treating was any peanut butter candy, a bible pamphlet or Tootsie rolls.

My favorite thing to get was carmels, Almond Joy

Where can people find you online?

I'm on Twitter as @MargieC

Huge thanks to Margie for dropping in and if you like Star Wars/Marvel toys and/or movies, check out the podcasts linked at the top of the interview.

Be sure to check out all the Countdown to Halloween bloggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment